Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to dress up the front window?

KS

03-18-12, 07:07 AM   #1  
How to dress up the front window?

http://www.unikpix.com/H4.jpg

We have painted the exterior with light cream color. I've suggested my dad to install the shutters but he doesn't like it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-18-12, 09:36 AM   #2  
We don't know the color of the shutters, nor how big they are. Personally, I like the stately look it gives, now. Nice paint job and good brickwork. Shutters may take away from its natural beauty.

Super Moderator

AZ

03-18-12, 09:53 AM   #3  
I think a straight on shot would be required.

I like the brickwork as well...but I think it looks a bit bare. It could be the big blank wall of the garage and the area above the roll up door thats throwing me off? If most of the homes don't have shutters...it might look a bit odd. I also think they don't look all that great with slider windows...which it appears you have.

I do wonder about one thing.....where's the attic ventilation?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

NE

03-18-12, 11:48 AM   #4  
I like of like the round faux gable louvers that serve no purpose other than decoration. And maybe a flower box. IMO, shutters would look odd on a modern house of that style. Landscaping shrubbery usually looks better when it's not symmetrical.

Super Moderator

AZ

03-18-12, 12:13 PM   #5  
I think I was imagining along that line as well XSleeper. I know they had similar houses in my old neighborhood. Though the hexagonal vent above the garage was functional...they also put a matching sized non opening window in the wall of the garage on the way to the front door.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

GA

03-18-12, 12:47 PM   #6  
Holy Smoke, good eye Vic. There's no venting at all, nowhere!!

KS

03-18-12, 02:06 PM   #7  
There are four vents are on the backside.

http://www.unikpix.com/H5.jpg

Super Moderator

PA

03-18-12, 04:29 PM   #8  
I think the flower box idea is nice. Red flowers would add some color, like Geranium's that will grow all summer and fall. You could put some Holly with red berries for the winter.

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!
Bring your pets inside in this cold weather! Have some compassion and sense.

GA

03-19-12, 04:08 AM   #9  
Before they get a good grip on the ground, move those shrubs out from the house at least 3 more feet. Envision their growth over the years and the normal spread. They will be rubbing against your house and you will need to remove them because of it. They look pretty now, but will cause problems later on. Flower box, that's Rebecca's alley, but if you do install one, make sure it is lined and drained at the front. Nothing worse than having dirt stains on the brick where the box leaks at the back.
Are those electric vents? Is there a reason there were not ridge vents installed? My concern is the vents are undersized, and if electric will fail in time, whereas continual ridge venting coupled with soffit vents will completely evacuate the air in the attic space, keeping your heating and cooling more moderately in line.

Search this Thread