Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

lack of ventilation probably need a dehumidifier

Old 03-23-12, 08:34 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I was reading a thread by others regarding condensation problems on windows and get it that I need ventilation. I built my geodesic dome 4 years ago and I have 3 very large triangular windows on the NW side. I neglected to put any windows in that open, however. So, though I mainly reheat things in the ventless microwave, steam does emit from my heated food. I was intrigued by the notion of using FogX on the windows. I wonder if it will impact the window warranty? Not that it matters as I believe the windows were damaged in transport as I too have moisture between the panes of glass. I have double pane E glass windows.
My walls are double framed, giving me deep window sills; outside 2x8 inside 2x4. Can I frame off and add a traditional window, insulating around the new square and leaving an air space on the triangle lean of the old without removing the triangle window from the outside?
I have way too many thoughts about problem solving this issue as inexpensively as possible. Though a dehumidifier may be the ultimate answer during the winter

Old 03-23-12, 10:19 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Moisture on the windows is like the canary in the mine, it is an indicator rather than the real problem. Now, if your double pane windows are no longer sealed, they are performing below their desired level, but still probably better than single pane. The problem may be the building is too well sealed. That decreases the natural air leakage and increases the inside humidity, but a dehumidifier would be ignoring the lack of fresh air, which is what you really need.

A typical solution would be a HRV which exchanges stale inside air with fresh outside air and recovers a significant amount of the heat energy that would otherwise be lost. However, these devices would not be referred to as inexpensive. The least expensive route in winter would be to open a window just a bit. Outside air in the winter is very dry and will help reduce that humidity. Pick up, if you don't have one, a humidity gauge, they are not expensive, and it will provide you with some guidance as to how much moisture needs to be removed.

The other important item to check is any additional sources of moisture. I'm not sure how your structure was built, but a lack of moisture barriers under slabs or around foundations can introduce excess moisture, complicating the problem.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: