Window replacement

Old 04-08-12, 07:52 PM
Window replacement

I did not know where to go on this forum, because there isn't a place for windows, so here's my question, please direct this to the proper forum if I am in error.
I need to replace a window in my basement. The window hardware on the side is aluminum, the window is double pane vinyl. How do I go about replacing this as the aluminum on the sides is very convoluted. I really know nothing about window replacement and it's hard to get someone to come out to do just one window.

I am currently in the Atlanta, GA area.

Thanx

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-12, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Here's the location of the window forum.

House and Home Doors and Windows - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

As to your question, from your description, it doesn't sound like anything I've ever run into. If you could include a picture it might help. Is this in a cement opening?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-09-12, 02:46 PM
Yeah it's a basement window so it's going to at least be cinder block.

Old 04-09-12, 02:49 PM
How do you do pics on this forum. Never did one before.

Thanx

Jim

Old 04-09-12, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Old 04-09-12, 05:24 PM
Well here's the two pics I got. Let me know if you need more detail.http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...1/CIMG0850.jpg
and http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...1/CIMG0851.jpg

Thanx

Jim

Old 04-09-12, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Goodness, the outside pic sure is blurry, but I think it gives us the concept of what you have.

Well first off, what are you wanting to do exactly? I see you have plywood in the upper section. You know that the broken insulating glass unit (IGU) can be replaced, right? You would just need to know the height x width x thickness. (a glass shop can make one for you if you provide them the measurements- it will just take a week or so for them to make it / get it). There are glazing strips around the interior perimeter of the sash that snap into a groove, and you can remove these by lightly tapping on one end of the glazing strip with a hammer and chisel or stiff putty knife. The glass is often glazed with two-faced tape or silicone.

Now if you want to replace the entire window, you'd need to remove all that exterior aluminum j-channel cladding- that's the part that's hanging loosely from the bottom- and then expose the nailing flange (might be partially covered up with some siding- can't really tell- if so, remove the vinyl siding by unzipping it above the window and then pull the siding off the nails so that it can be rehooked on the same nails later.) You'd probably remove the siding first, then remove that j-channel cladding last. I just realized I kind of typed that backwards.

You'd install a new window that is the same exact size as the old one (if that's what you plan on doing)

That aluminum cladding was probably custom bent, so you'd need to get some trim coil, rent a metal brake, and duplicate the pieces they had on there.

Depending on the thickness of your existing window, compared with the thickness of the new window, it may not fit up against your drywall inside perfectly. So when you test fit the window, check that. You may need to cut back the drywall or do some taping around the window, or install a piece of trim or something if there is a gap. I hate drywall returns because it's impossible to do a good job of insulating / air-sealing the window when the drywall is there. To do the best job, you'd probably need to remove the interior drywall completely, install the window, insulate it, then install new drywall up to the window, using a tear away L-bead where it meets the window perimeter.

Old 04-10-12, 09:48 AM
Thanx for all that good info. I think I will look into getting the glass replaced in the upper sash. Sounds like the easiest and quickest way to go. Sorry about the blurry pic. Sometimes my camera does wierd things.

Search this Thread