Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Replacement Window Installation - Remove new sashes ??

Old 04-10-12, 07:16 PM

I am going to install my first replacement window. It is a Simonton Double Hung.

Is it ok to take the sashes out of the new window frame before putting it into the opening. Install the frame without the sashes and then put the sashes back. It seems like it would be easier to do it this way than with the sashes in place.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-12, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
It's not usually a good idea. Having the sashes installed and the window locked helps to keep the frame square and true. You may also have trouble getting the sashes back in if you have never done it before. It can be a little tricky. My advice would be to install it with the sashes locked, shim under the bottom if needed (if one end seems to want to stay suspended over the sill, it's usually because the sill isn't level- and you will want to support the frame of the window with a shim in that case).

Then when you open the windows, bring them a crack away from being closed and observe whether or not the gap of light you see is even, or if it's wider on one end than the other. This is also a good indication of whether or not the window is square. Of course the best way is to measure the diagonals of the window frame to verify that the measurements are the same. But the bottom of the window sash (or top of the top sash) still need to be straight with the frame it closes against.