tips needed for install a double door

Old 04-11-12, 01:13 PM
tips needed for install a double door

I have installed doors before both interior and exterior but this will be my first time installing a double door. the new jamb is vinyl with two 36" fiberglass doors. i am looking for any tips cause everyone i have talked to says its a huge pain. is it easier to take the doors out of the jamb first? this is what i have done in the past for exterior door but not sure if its the best way when dealing with 2 doors in 1 jamb. any help would be appreciated.
thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-12, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Do you have any helpers? If so, I'd leave the doors in place.

I know a good carpenter would know all the tricks and take the doors out to be able to just move the frame around easier...but I'm no Pro carpenter. I've done a couple..and left the doors in, wedged/shimmed the doors to keep the gaps correct put the door in place, squared, leveled and plumbed the frame. Attach with a few screws or nails (if it has a nailing fin), shim the frame to hold it tight, check all gaps again, check with a level again....then do the final nailing.

Taking the doors out also increases the chance that the frame could crack a joint or split somewhere.

Old 04-11-12, 01:57 PM
i see what you are saying. there is no nailing fin and since the jamb is made out f vinyl, its kind flimsy so just tightening a screw a little with the shim not perfect will warp the jamb...they can get very frustrating!

Old 04-11-12, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like a lousy kind of jamb for a heavy double door! You will save yourself a lot of headaches if you ensure the floor is perfectly level. I'm assuming this is an exterior door with a threshold? If so, and the floor is out of level, the floor will need to be ground level with a grinder (if concrete) or you will need to shim the opening before you set the doors in. I'd also suggest that you have a 78" level for your side jambs... and that you nail the shims onto at least one side of the rough opening before you begin. (If using tapered cedar shims, you probably know to always use 2 shims, lay one one direction, and the other the opposite direction. Then slide them one on the other to make them thicker or thinner. This assumes your framing isn't twisted of course.)

I'd probably take the doors out to begin with. (but don't unscrew them from the jamb... that will just weaken the threads.) If you are SURE the sill is now level, and you have one side shimmed and it's PLUMB then you could set the door in the rough opening and put about 2 or 3 trim screws through the jamb to hold it in place. Then shim the opposite side at the top and bottom corners. Set the 78" level on the jamb and shim the middle of that side jamb, making sure you aren't bowing the jamb in. Then put 2 or 3 trim screws through that jamb. Then hang the doors back on and make all your final adjustments with screws and shims.

If the doors don't shut in the same plane (one is out farther on bottom than the other) that means the sides are racked, and so you'd need to move one top corner in / the other out. And you'd need to move the opposite bottom corner in / and the other out. This will plumb your doors up in relation to one another.

I can't imagine a vinyl door frame could possibly hold its shape with 2 solid doors so hopefully the jamb is a solid composite or something. You usually need to install 3" screws into the framing through the top hinges to keep double doors apart in the middle. It might even seem like you need to bow the jamb out a little to keep them apart. But don't overdo it.

If the doors aren't straight across the top, you have the door frame installed out of square. Assuming the sill is level, you'd need to move the top right or left, and whichever way you move the top, the bottom jambs would need to go the opposite direction to square it up.

Hope some of this helps. If you've hung doors before you probably already knew all that already, right?

Old 04-11-12, 04:24 PM
great, thanks for the help. it is an exterior door and i have done some doors before, just didn't know if there were any other tricks to help. thanks for the info.
Justin