Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing Glass in Therma Tru Entry Door

IN

04-15-12, 05:24 AM   #1  
Replacing Glass in Therma Tru Entry Door

I need to replace the glass in our Therma Tru fiberglass entry door. Other than taking out the old glass and putting in the new is there anything I need to do - for example, caulking on the outside at the point where the glass meets the frame?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

04-15-12, 05:39 AM   #2  
It's usually best to replace the entire plastic glazing frame along with the glass. But if you're just sticking a piece of glass in, yes. You'll want to silicone the perimeter of the glass to the plastic frame. Dow Corning 795 silicone is best for glazing.

IN

04-15-12, 05:46 AM   #3  
I should have mentioned - the new glass came with a new plastic frame. Is the Dow silicone available at the big box stores? Where would I caulk?

Group Moderator

NE

04-15-12, 06:10 AM   #4  
Before I answer, is the new glass already sealed to the exterior side of the frame? Or is it separate? And does the perimeter of the plastic frame already have a gasket where it presses up against the exterior side of the door?

IN

04-15-12, 06:53 AM   #5  
Yes to both questions. There's a small thin sticky substance on the inside of the outside frame. I can't easily pull the outside frame off of the glass.

I suspect this means I can just insert the new outer frame/glass from the outside then screw from the inside and be good?

Group Moderator

NE

04-15-12, 06:58 AM   #6  
exactly!!!

Just don't overtighten any of those screws or they will snap the frame- especially if you are using a cordless drill.

IN

04-15-12, 06:58 AM   #7  
Oh - 1 more thing. There is some sort of tape stuck around the outside edge of the glass. It looks like it was there for shipping but I want to check before I remove it.

Group Moderator

NE

04-15-12, 07:03 AM   #8  
That's a new one on me. Is it a foam backed tape? if so, and it's on the interior facing side of the glass, it might be two faced tape that is used to seal the interior portion of the frame to the glass. You'd remove the tape facing before you install the inner trim and screws.

Super Moderator

AZ

04-15-12, 07:18 AM   #9  
I know the foam stuff you are talking about I think. It's in a small channel around the perimeter of the frame, right? There's no facing or anything on it? Just a bead of foam that would contact the face of the door when it is installed?

Thats your exterior frame to door water seal. Basically a gasket. Just clean the area of the door that it contacts with alcohol or similar and install it.

If you get direct sunlight on the door...that stuff can get gummy and kinda leak out of the frame. At least the type they used to use could. Just clean it with some solvent that won't harm the finish on the door.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

IN

04-15-12, 08:00 AM   #10  
yeah, that gasket is pretty sticky stuff. Looks like once it contacts the outside of the door there's not much

The tape around the outer perimeter of the glass looks like shipping tape - sorta opaque with thin fiber running longways through it. It does look like it was put on there for shipping purposes but I'm a little reluctant to remove it. Leaving it on there doesn't look like it would cause problems with installation.....

Super Moderator

AZ

04-15-12, 08:20 AM   #11  
Ohhhh I misunderstood. Yeah, I believe the tape you are talking about is to hold the glass in place during the manufacturing process and shipping. Once the caulk/adhesive between the glass and frame sets...it's not really needed. Leave it or remove it..your choice.

Vic

IN

04-15-12, 08:22 AM   #12  
Sweet. Thanks. One last - I hope - question. I thought I'd just be able to pop out the little plastic inserts that cover the screw heads on the old frame. Not so much. They're either extremely tight or they glued them in. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator

AZ

04-15-12, 08:43 AM   #13  
They gave you new ones I hope? I really hope so, cause its almost impossible to remove the old ones undamaged and even then they may not fit the newer frame correctly.

Ok...here's the different methods I've used.

Use a small screwdriver and hammer and and drive it in at an angle through the frame towards the plug, just a hair away from the plug hole. Then pry it out.

Drill a small hole in the center, thread a sheet metal screw in and pull out with visegrips.

Drill it out completely.

With the last 2 you have to be very careful not to damage the screw heads because I KNOW they didn't send those did they? And no, you can't just go buy some at a hardware store.

When I worked at HD, I would salvage all the screws and plugs out of damaged doors before we trashed them.

Vic

IN

04-15-12, 09:04 AM   #14  
Actually, they DID send new plugs AND screws; so I think I'm good. Thanks for all the tips!!

Group Moderator

NE

04-15-12, 11:47 AM   #15  
I take a drywall screw and just drive it into the center of the plug. You can then either use the screw as a handle to pull the plug out, or if you keep driving the screw in, it will hit the head of the screw that the cap is covering, and the farther you drive the screw, it will push the plug out. Never saw the need to predrill, but that might help. The old plugs are toast either way.

I don't like to install the plugs unless the customer demands it.

IN

04-15-12, 01:44 PM   #16  
The drywall screw trick sounds like a winner. I might not worry about putting the new plugs in myself, but my strong guess is that my lovely wife would like them in - and she always wins on stuff like this

In any event, I'm ready to swap the old glass out and the new one in. Thanks again, guys.

Search this Thread