Dual Pane vs Low E Argon Patio Door

Old 04-16-12, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dual Pane vs Low E Argon Patio Door

I'm thinking of replacing my patio door with either a dual pane slider door with blinds in between or low e argon patio slider door with grills.

Shop ThermaStar by Pella 70-3/4" Dual Pane Glass Blinds Between the Glass Vinyl Sliding Patio Door at Lowes.com

Shop ThermaStar by Pella 70-3/4" Low-E Argon Grills-Between-the-Glass Vinyl Sliding Patio Door at Lowes.com

I prefer the patio slider doors with the blinds in between for privacy but it is only dual pane. Does the low e argon patio door provide much more benefit? If I'm replacing the door I want to get the best bang for my buck.

I cannot find a patio slider door with blinds that has the low e argon. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-12, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes....the LoE with Argon will be much more efficient.

Don't hold me to it but I seem to remember it will increase the insulation value by about 3 times.

I know I can stand in front of my Andersen French door on the coldest or hottest day and I could just as well be in front of a solid wall. Not so with the old double pane sliding windows.

I don't know of anyone who does blinds between the glass along with the LoE. A rep told me about 5 yrs ago that they will scratch the coating on the glass, so they didn't offer it. Not sure if that's true or not.

Old 04-16-12, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
IMHO, never, ever Pella!!!! They do not stand behind their product. Wood rot after the 10 yr warranty period is your problem, even if one day after. And that seems to come up often, with my customers.

Blinds between the glass and efficiency should not be used in the same sentence.