Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Storm Door gap at the bottom.. even with adjustable sweep.

Old 04-16-12, 03:40 PM

We bought an EMCO By Andersen 200 Series Traditional 36" x 80" Storm Door with adjustable glass/screen section at Home Depot last night and after hanging it we can see that the plastic sweep that comes with it which is adjustable just doesn't come down far enough - so there is a gap at the bottom. It's a pretty good size sweep as it is at about 2" X 36" but we still have about 2" of space that needs to be filled and I am kind of freaking out because the door was a beast to put on, get everything level and screwed into place. I am trying not to say "told you so" to my husband who assured me that we didn't have to worry and over think the measurements because the sweep will make up for any gaps and that they are all standard 80" doors. He is up at Home Depot right now with the sweep looking for an Add On solution.. a higher threshold is not an option because the one that is there is metal with cement around it.

Can anyone think of anything we can do?? we need a total of 4". 3.75" of which is needed to cover the gap and 1/4" to screw it into the door. Do they make wide white plastic weather stripping? can we attach a sweep to a sweep?

HELP... the door looks so bad...but it is a nice door. can attach pics if needed.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-12, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Odds are you have a taller than normal entry door (84" is common in older homes)...or it's old and the threshold really slopes.

Sorry....not a lot you will be able to do (in my experience) except lower the storm door and add some wood at the top.

Either that or use the door elsewhere or sell it and order a custom door. That would add about $75 to the off the shelf price as I remember.

I used to sell these at HD and had it happen all the time.

I'm not sure...but it seems like Andersen used to sell an extended sweep...but I don't think it would fill that gap.

Old 04-16-12, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
If you can't add a threshold the only other option is to lower the door until it does work, and fill in the top.

Sounds like you must be trying to put a 80" door on a 84" tall opening?

Old 04-16-12, 05:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How old is the house? I agree with the others, older houses had taller door openings. We usually fill in the top and lower the door.

Old 04-16-12, 06:57 PM
The strange thing is we measured the old door tonight and its the same height.. The the top piece that sits over the doorway was longer originally and came down further than the new one that came with the replacement door. We worked it out. My husband picked up another sweep at home depot. Almost the same size. We slide that one into the original, drilled 3 holes and screwed the two together to make one piece. You cant see it but there is now only a 1/4" gap a the bottom. Much much better than before. Im going to get some weather stripping tomorrow and seal it up with that. The end result tonight actually doesnt look bad at all even though its rigged up. Thanks to everyone who posted to help. This site is amazing. Lots of great people on here.

Last edited by barbie7034; 04-16-12 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 07:00 PM
Oh also to answer the question about the age.. Its a townhome that was built in the mid 80's... I will be posting soon for more help because i have 27" wide andersen casement windows (wood) and every single one of them is broken..its more than the crank handles being stripped.. That is my next project. Thanks again yall!

Old 04-17-12, 03:25 AM
Helps us to help you, too, if you post pictures as you go. Glad you got the door to work as you wanted it to. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-17-12, 06:24 AM
Storm Door

As has been mentioned, post some photos. Is the side frame on the storm door resting on the threshold? You may have to cut the side frames at the bottom to lower the storm door.

Old 04-17-12, 06:50 AM
I will take some photos of the "solution" i came up with and will post tonight after work.. Maybe someone can shed some light on whether or not the door was hung at the right height to begin with and why there was a gap that was so large. Its never easy with any home improvemets we do at our place.. I will also show pics of how we corrected the issue with extending the sweep as well. I am so glad we didn't need to order a "custom" storm door.

Old 11-06-14, 04:02 AM
I know this conversation is over 2 years old, but I'm in the same situation and would be interested in seeing pictures of what you came up with. Please post them if you have them.

Old 11-06-14, 04:10 AM
Welcome to the forums! Post pictures of what you have and maybe we will be able to come up with a solution for your situation. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html