Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Different woods on the door and trim, but same stain color possible?

Old 05-15-12, 06:07 AM

Uh oh. I am replacing all the interior and exterior doors of a home remodeling project and just realized that the interior doors are a different type of wood from the door and wall trim. I want to try to keep the doors and trim the same stain color. I assume this is hard to do, correct? Ugh. Any ideas?

My doors are going to be cherry, I think, and the trim pine. Ive been to Home Depot and I didn't see any trim pieces in anything except MDF, and pine.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-12, 06:13 AM
Group Moderator
Head to a local paint store (not a paint department) and take any of the wood you can. They should be able to help you get these as close to each other as possible.

Old 05-15-12, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll need a sample of the finished dark wood and a raw piece or two of the pine trim for them to match it too. If the doors are the only dark wood, a few good pics might help but it's always best to have the 2 different woods side by side when mixing up a stain.

Old 05-15-12, 03:33 PM
Waht Mark said. Different woods will always come out different colors. Heck, it is sometimes hard to get the same color on the same board. As suggested, use scrap pieces to get a match. Mix stains in a seperate container to experiment.

Old 05-15-12, 04:24 PM
Go to a lumber yard and buy cherry moulding.