Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Re-engaging spring balance on double hung wood window

Old 06-09-12, 02:58 PM

I tilted the lower sash toward me of a double hung window, and the spring balance mechanism on the left side snapped upward to the top of the track. Using a screwdriver, I can lower the metal balance but I can't seem to get it to catch the window sash.

When this first happened, I was at least able to get the lower sash to slide up and down -- it just would stay up because the left side was disengaged from the spring balance. But after trying to re-engage the balance and the sash several times, all of the sudden I cannot even get the lower sash to slide up and down. If this is a simple fix, I would prefer to do this on my own. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-12, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
At the bottom of the spring balancer where the sash pin goes you should see a fat slot. Look on your sash and the pin will have flat side that allow it to fit into the slot. Notice the orientation. I take a flat blade screw driver and rotate that sockets in the spring tensionsers to about a 45 degree angle. Grab your sash and insert one pin in one tensioner socket. Then slide it up/down as needed so you can get the pin into the second tensioner socket. When doing the second pin/socket the sash has to be tilted 20 or 30 degrees to get the pin in. Then twist the sash to be horizontal. Stand it up and latch it in place.

This all assumes that the window was installed properly. If the windows were not installed properly the side of your window frame can move in and out, allowing the sash to pop out of it's tensioners. If this is the case don't bother getting the lower sash back into it's tensionsers since it will probably just pop back out the next time you open the window.

Old 06-09-12, 05:47 PM
Right now the bottom sash is in but won't slide up. Should tilt it toward me until it's horizontal and pop it completely out, and then follow your instructions? ... I think this was installed properly. They've only been in a week. They worked fine -- until today I tilted the bottom sash toward me a little too far I guess -- and SNAP went the spring balance.

Old 06-09-12, 05:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your sash pins should be on the bottom. What happened when you tilted the window, you let it get a little sideways and it released one side. Remove the sash and follow Dane's instructions in putting it back, squarely.