Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Bay window installed 4 years ago showing water damage around inside edge

Old 06-20-12, 01:37 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Greetings Everyone. I have read posts on this forum so many times to help fix and repair items. So, I finally decided to become a member. Thanks for inviting me in. Currently, the largest issue we are having in our 10 year old prefab home is a bay window that was installed 4 years ago. We moved in 2 years ago and the previous owner used a contractor to install the 6'X5' bay window in the living room along the north face of the house. Wonderful view of a swamp and dirctly in line of the cold north wind. Even covering it with plastic in the winter doesn't keep the cold from getting in. Now we've noticed inside off each top edge for about 6 inches the paint is beginning to bubble out and is spungy. There is also what appears to be a growing water stain along the sill of the window close to the pane. We contacted the contractor who looked at the damage and stated that his work is only warrantied for two years so he is not obligated to fix it. He did state that when his crew installed the window they noted that the exterior wall had very little insulation along the top few feet. Bottom line, we are not rolling in money right now and I'm looking to see if there are repair options that I can do on my own before hiring another contractor? I have worked before on window installation but never a bay window. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 06-20-12, 01:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you have a leak - time to find the source.

Old 06-20-12, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,961 Upvotes on 1,758 Posts
Pictures can be included if you first upload them to a website like photobucket, flickr or google+. You can then copy and paste the link to the pictures or include them in a post.

Since you mentioned paint, I am assuming this is a wood window? We'd probably need pictures of the damage, of the roof above the window, and maybe some closeup pictures of the area, inside and out.
You might also hit the bottom of the window with a hose while someone is inside and see if the wood inside gets wet... it might be something as simple as bad glazing- many windows often need some maintenance- like running a bead of silicone around the glass edge on the outside. Water can sometimes creep around the glass edge which will eventually ruin the interior wood if left unchecked. Note- I recommend silicone for glass perimeter glazing, but not for any exterior wood to wood caulking. Only use silicone where you don't plan to paint it!

Old 06-26-12, 04:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You mention several things that indicate a builders quality window, and partly due to your actions.

Cold drafts can be caused by the type of glass and the installation. Covering the window with plastic could hold in moisture causing part of your problem. Poor installation could be another. It is a bay window, is there a roof over it whether added as part of the installation or the overhang of the house roof??? Or, you could have a poorly constructed window that actually leaks.

As suggested, pics could help us with your problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: