Custom made double paned windows

Old 06-27-12, 09:13 AM
Custom made double paned windows

I'm not your 'average' person. I'm going to make my own double paned windows because I want a unique pattern for my unique fix-er-uper. I can cut the glass, I can cut and bend the separator. I can build a vacuum chamber to dry it out and fill them with the correct kind of gas for the best insulative properties. I just need the information on the best separator and the best gas to use.
Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-12, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
Jim:

Welcome to the forums. I moved your question into its own thread, you attached it to one which was almost ten years old so you'll get better visibility this way.

Old 06-27-12, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Well, good luck with that.

Any commercial city glass place can probably make you the IGU's (insulating glass units) you want (any size, thickness, or fancy shape you tell them) for less $$$ than it will cost for you to buy the glass, spacer, dessicant, gas, and butyl seperately... not to mention the time you invest in it. You will also have a warranty with the IGU's you buy from them, something you will not have if you DIY. This is something that would really be cost prohibitive for an individual to DIY, so I would advise against it in the strongest terms. Sure, you could silicone 2 pieces of glass together with some spacer bar, but when it fogs up you will have no one to blame but yourself. As far as pricing goes, it is crazy how cheap they can make them (wholesale cost, of course) so that's where I'm coming from.

FWIW, you don't create a vacuum between the 2 pieces... When gas fill is selected as an energy option, Argon is used in most IGU's that are 5/8" or larger, Krypton is used in IGU's 1/2" and smaller. To fill an IGU with gas (Argon or Krypton) glass shops have special equipment w/ sensors... the introduction of these gasses (heavier than air) forces most ambient air that is trapped between the 2 panes out the sensor's vent hole, then the sensor is withdrawn and the holes plugged... the nitrogen based dessicant (a sand-like material which is what all aluminum spacer is filled with) is what absorbs the small amount of moisture left between the panes. Factories where they make IGU's usually have an oven that heats up the spacer material and a conveyor roller that presses both panes together simultaneously, then a pneumatic butyl rubber gun seals the perimeter of the 2 panes and spacer together with hot butyl as they spin the IGU on a "lazy susan" equipped table.

There are many types of spacer material. Superspacer, Swiggle, Intercept are a few that use warm-edge technology, otherwise plain old aluminum spacer is the standard. Most commercial glass mfg's offer at least a couple options. They also have several glass options, such as Low E, Low E2, tinted glass, obscure glass, decorative glass, and so on. I'd suggest you call a couple glass mfg's with your spec's and get some estimates.

IGU's must also be glazed (set into place) using certain methods to ensure there are no leaks, to ensure the glass is cushioned and shimmed on all sides, and [usually] in a way that allows perimeter moisture/condensation to escape.

Johnam is a member here who also knows a lot about glass, so if you'd like a 2nd opinion perhaps you can PM him if he doesn't happen to reply.

Old 06-28-12, 05:22 AM
Please take XSleeper's advice. Even some manufactures of windows purchase their insulated glass units from some of the larger IGU manufacturers. They are assured of a quality product without having to have an expensive insulating glass factory.