Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Good kit for installing door slabs

OH

07-07-12, 07:09 AM   #1  
Good kit for installing door slabs

Hi,
I've got 7 interior doors slabs I need to install. I do not have the old doors, so I can't use them as a template. The jams are already mortised, obviously, but they only have top/bottom hinges. I'm looking for a good template kit that will let me add the middle hinge mortise to the jam, then transfer all of them to the slab AND cut the bore for the knob/lock. I've seen a few of these online, but they tend to be separate (mortise set and bore set). They're pretty expensive too. That being said, I'm saving a good bit doing these myself so I'm willing to spend a little if it makes the job go easier. If you've had experience doing this and liked a particular set of templates/jigs please let me know.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-07-12, 07:32 AM   #2  
Yeah, the middle mortise for the hinge will be a bear since your stop molding is in the way. Full length mortise templates are the best, especially when you have more than one door/jamb to do. Buying one is best, but you may be able to rent one. Mortise templates and bore templates address two parts of the door and are almost always sold separately. Why buy a mortise template when all you are doing is installing locksets on existing doors? Here are some examples of styles and prices. Door Hanging Accessories, Templates

Search this Thread