Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Door not plumb letting cool air out-need assistance

Old 07-15-12, 06:46 PM

Hi,
I have an external fabricated door unit that has one door that open inwards and the other is fixed closed. A picture is included below. As you'll see in the picture from the inside, there is a gap at the bottom of the door that lets external air inside. I replaced the weatherstripping before realizing that the door jamb is not plumb.

I've also included pictures of the door, showing that it is straight and hung level, and pictures of the outside of the door as it sits in the frame (with the door closed). I included pictures with my level flush against the frame, both inside and outside, and it appears that the bottom of the door frame bows towards the outside at the bottom. Thus the door doesn't fit properly and air is escaping.

We live in AZ where there's a 30+ degree temperature variance between inside and outside right now.

I'm looking for advice and suggestions on how to fill that space. Weatherstripping alone won't do it. We just bought this house (10 years old) and it looks like someone tried to address this problem by attaching felt squares to the door frame, but they aren't cutting it.

Appreciate the advice. I can answer questions or provide different pictures if needed.
Thanks,
JMay

Attached Images         
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-12, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
The first thing I would check is to check the door with a 78" long level (not anything shorter). My guess is that since this is a full view door, the door has warped. If that's the case the best thing to do would be to replace the door slab that is warped with a new one.

Old 07-15-12, 08:53 PM
XSleeper,
I'll see if I can get my hands on a 78" level. I used a 48" level in this picture and it appeared to be flush against the door and level, and you can see in the 3rd picture from the bottom it separates from the inside of the door frame (the handle side, not the hinge side) by about 3/16 of an inch at the bottom of the frame.
Thx.

Old 07-16-12, 02:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The felt squares are part of the door, so don't remove them. It does appear your door frame is out of plumb. We just need to find out where. One pix I believe you are on the mullion and it is shown to be out of plumb outward at the bottom. How is the door frame on the hinge side. It may be correctable by placing a 2x4 perpendicular to the frame at the mullion and tapping it inward slightly. If it moves, let us know so we can go with that plan.

Old 07-16-12, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
Photos 1, 2 & 3 make it appear like a pretty sudden curve on the door, but I see what you mean about the 48" level laying flat on the door (photo 4). You would also want to check the threshold across both doors with your 48" level, by laying it flat on the landing... if its bowed outward, it would want to rock back and forth on the sill nose. I did have a door once (had a sidelight) that really wanted to bow outward at the sill and it gave me fits. That vial does show the door is VERY out of plumb in the center, so I would wonder if that is the same reading you get on the sides or not.

If you can get your hands on a 78" level, do and Larry said and set the level on the barrels of the hinges to determine if the door is plumb with the wall on both sides. The bubble "should be" the same on both sides of the door, but occasionally a door (esp a double door) needs to be tweaked a little to MAKE it line up. You can do this by bumping one corner of the door jamb in, one corner out (doing this at each of the 4 hinge/jamb corners will make a small adjustment that can bring both doors back into line with the weatherstrip.)

I'd also open the door, grab the fixed portion of the door near the sill and see if you can yank in on the center of the door and pull it inward. That seems to be way out of plumb and would close the gap. If it moves any, I think we may be on the right track.

And then sometimes a door (it is a wood door, right?) will want to warp when the sun hits it, especially if its painted a dark color outside (expands) and it's air conditioned inside (contracts). It will make the door want to cup away from the weatherstrip, and it usually does this on the latch side. Sometimes the warp becomes permanent. But the 78" level will help you determine if the door is really flat or is warped.