Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Broken window glass - double pane replacements

Broken window glass - double pane replacements

Old 07-18-12, 06:51 AM
tevil's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 400
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Broken window glass - double pane replacements

Hey guys one of my tenants broke the inside pane of one of my windows. There is no manufacturer info on any of them. there is a sticker but it only has order and customer info that says they were installed in 1991 so who knows if the company is still around.
I was thinking of breaking the window apart and just replacing the frame with a piece of plexi but not really sure if I can (thickness and what not).
I dont care about the insulating factor since its a rental and they broke it so screw them. He said he understands it will be removed from his deposit but I dont want to pull from deposit until they move out which will more than likely have to be to replace the window itself.
Im not overly worried about fogging to be honest since they will be the ones dealing with it.

is it possible to pull the window apart and just replace the glass?
Old 07-18-12, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,818
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
You should be able to replace the double pane with a single pane. You might have to use regular old fashion window glazing to make up the thickness you loose with the single pane. Best fix would be to measure the glass and have a glass shop make or order a double pane to fit.
Old 07-18-12, 09:12 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,319
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
You will be miles ahead if you take marksr's advice and just get a new double paned insulating glass unit (IGU), as it will be much easier and faster than dinking around doing it half-as$ed. Been doing this for 21 yrs, so here's what to do:

You didn't say if this was a vinyl window, but I am assuming it is. There will be glazing stops around the perimeter of the glass on either the inside or the outside (usually inside). 2 of them fit between the other 2, and they are the ones that you will remove first. Take a sharp chisel or stiff glazing knife and tap it into the crack of the glazing stop to separate it from where it snaps into the sash. Start on the end and work your way across the length of the glazing stop in order to remove it. Be very careful with the tip of the chisel if you don't want to scratch up the vinyl. Repeat this step, and remove all 4 glazing stops.

This will expose the edge of the IGU. You will then be able to measure it's size. Measure to the closest 1/16". Once you know the height and width you next need to know the thickness. The most positive way to measure that (for a DIY'er) is to actually remove the IGU and measure it. The thickness is critical to how the sash will go back together so if it's not right ur usually screwed.

So the IGU is usually sealed to the sash on the opposite side with either silicone, glazing tape, or sticky gunk that's like chewing gum. A table knife or linoleum knife bent at an angle or sometimes a pizza cutter bent at an angle will usually do the trick, you shove it between the glass and the frame, it goes in about 5/8" or so, and you rip the sealant around the perimeter that holds the glass to the frame of the sash.

Once its out, measure the thickness carefully, pop it back in, and put one or two stops on temporarily. Or put all 4 on if you think they will lose them before you get the glass!

Call the measurements in to one of the commercial glass houses (like city glass) and they will get your glass made in a week or so. Then you can put it in, done deal.

The other thing you could do, if the sash is removable, is just take the entire sash out, take it to the glass house, and let them repair it for you. Then send the tenant the bill.

NOTE: A few of the older vinyl windows (circa 1991) did not have glazing strips... so if your window does not, the above advise would not apply... it would be possible that what you have is the type of window sash that has angle bracing, and you have to take the sash out, take screws out of the corners and carefully tap the sash apart with a block of wood and hammer. On that type of window the frame basically just slips over the IGU.

If you have any questions you can always post some closeup pictures of the window... its hard for us to give specific advise sight unseen.
Old 07-18-12, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 19,222
Received 1,292 Upvotes on 1,229 Posts
We have to replace a couple IGUs every month, it seems. We hooked up with a glass supply house and get the wholesale price instead of having to go through a local glass shop and that saves us quite a bit of money. We also then do the installation ourselves.
Old 07-18-12, 10:20 AM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 19,281
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
One note...
Some vinyl windows actually have to be cut apart at the joints and then solvent welded back together. The frame completely encloses the IGU. That's a job for a full service glass shop...but it can be done. Silverline/American Craftsman did that as I remember, maybe others as well.

As to the label info, we might be able to find the manufacturer if you post all the info written on it.
Old 07-18-12, 10:54 AM
tevil's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 400
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
thanks guys. this looks like it might be chemically welded. I can take the pane out fully yes. I didnt know a glass shop could do the repair. Again I was looking for a cheaper way to handle it since I already also know im charging them for the rugs when they leave. they arent bad tenants at all actually the opposite, just lazy and dumb as bricks. more the guy than the woman lol.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: