Shmming Andersen Windows

Old 07-25-12, 06:11 AM
Shmming Andersen Windows

I just installed 3 new build(w/ nailing flanges) Andersen Double Hung windows, and the Andersen intructions calls for shimming the jambs. The problem is that they cannot be nailed through the jambs. Aren't you supposed to nail through the shims to hold them in place? What is the norm here?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-12, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You shim the window first on the bottom to give you an adjustment point, set the window in the opening and shim the sides to where it is square and plumb in the opening. I like to leave the shims in place and cut off their tails. Once you fasten at the nailing flange all but the bottom ones will be a moot point.

Old 07-25-12, 07:21 PM
Thanks Chandler. I guess what confuses me is that if you can't nail through the jambs, then there is nothing holding the shims in place. Do you still put shims in if you can not keep them in place? I did not shim mine because I could not keep them in place, but the jambs were straight and level when I nailed the nailing flanges in. Is this ok, as long as the jambs were straight & level before I nailed them in?

Also, what happens if the shims do move over time because they're not fixed in place?

Old 07-26-12, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have the window in and it is square and plumb, you've done the job. The shims are your "helper" in getting it to that position. The nailing fin will hold it all in place.

Search this Thread