hanging a bi-fold door, sort of

Old 08-06-12, 08:20 AM
hanging a bi-fold door, sort of

I have a shallow, narrow linen closet in a hallway and I want to install an 8 x 2 ft, half panel / half louver bi-fold door. I don't want the door to function as a bi-fold however; I want to hinge it so the sides or "leaves" open separately.

The question is... will the door have enough integrity or stiffness so that it will not warp and the edges become misaligned in the center? I'll use four hinges on each side and I'd be grateful for recommendations as to what kind. Thanks. Door is ordinary 1 & 1/8th thickness.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-12, 10:53 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think the doors will warp but I have a few questions. Do you plan to try to mortice the doors so the hinges are recessed like a regular door? That can be a bit tricky. Also what are you going to use as a center stop so the doors don't go into the closet when they are closed?

Would you consider an accordion door instead?

Old 08-06-12, 11:37 AM
"Linen closet" is only 14" deep and has shelves so I'll put a catch on the front edges of high and low shelves. As for hinges, I haven't made up my mind but I may mortise the door edge with a little laminate trimmer/router that is easy to handle and then let the hinge sit proud on the jamb. Or maybe there's a fancy European hinge that would work?

Old 08-06-12, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Well...as to hinges...you might be able to just use butterfly hinges. Not sure if that will work, they normally are pretty small I think...but if you are using 4...should be ok.

Might want to think about ball catches?

Old 08-06-12, 01:37 PM
Noodling around online I see there are some no-mortise hinges that are only 3/32nds thick. Probably go with those. Maybe magnetic catches. Cross that bridge later. Thanks for the help.