Big, uneven door gap. Any easy fix idea?

Old 08-06-12, 01:14 PM
Question Big, uneven door gap. Any easy fix idea?

My roommate and I recently moved into an old building apartment. They used to have carpeted floor and they just put in a laminated wood floor for us. The door to enter our apartment as a huge gap from the floor... and since the building is old, the floor is uneven. The gap is about 1/2" inch on left edge, and about 1 3/4" on the other edge.
It's an indoor entrance, but I still don't like seeing such a big gap underneath the door. We aren't exactly handy girls, but we want to try do something about it ourself without having to go to our apt manager. Any idea for this?

Thank you!

-thustam

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-12, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
If your landlord approves install a door sweep. You may have to look a bit to find one wide enough. It may require a threshold and a sweep. Example: Self-Stick Door Sweep - ItsEasyBeingGreen.com

Old 08-06-12, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Is the gap under the door the same when the door is swung open, as it is when it is closed? If it is, it sounds like you might need to cut a tapered shim, and add some wood to the bottom of the door. Assuming it's a painted door, a good fit, along with some Bondo, a lot of sanding and some paint might make a big difference.

or Google "twin draft guard". Would that for for ya? I doubt it will work if the gap is 1 3/4" on one side! But maybe if you tack something to the bottom on that side, the draft guard wouldn't want to slip off.

Old 08-07-12, 05:10 PM
Thank you all! I'll looking up the door sweep. Hopefully, that will work.

Thanks!

Old 08-07-12, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
You may have to glue one door sweep on the door and a second sweep on the one glued to the door to get it wide enough to cover the gap.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-04-12 at 10:18 AM.