Exterior double doors not matching up

Old 08-18-12, 08:04 PM
Exterior double doors not matching up

We are trying to install the exterior french doors in our master bedroom. Everything seemed plumb, level and square until we tried to close them. The bottom matched up fine but the top does not. the left side door has a larger gap at the top than the right side.

We had these doors made and they came unfinished but prehung. In order to stain and poly them we had to take the doors out of the hinges. We had 3 identical doors made to replace the other french doors in the house. We did not keep track of which hinges came from where, could this be our problem? The top hinge on the left door looks like it may be the culprit since the side gap along the left door is wide at the top than the bottom.

It's been a long frustrating day. Any advice would be very appreciated!

Attached Images      

Last edited by BigTime; 08-18-12 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-12, 08:55 PM
Do the doors close, or do they hit at the top or the bottom? How much is it off? I'm sure you have checked, but are all the of hinges flush in the jams?

Old 08-19-12, 01:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1/32" can make a difference in how they appear in the casing. I would carefully measure from the top of each door down to the top of the hinge to see if there is an appreciable difference in any of them. Swapping doors may help. It can happen when doors are mortised to a specific casing, the template could have been off a little causing the problem. Let us know how the door swap thingy goes.

Old 08-19-12, 07:08 AM
They will close only when closed together. They hit at the top. Now that it is a new day, we will try adjusting and swapping hinges. Amazing what a good night's sleep will do for your enthusiasm to figure out a problem!

Old 08-19-12, 12:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Once you do your measuring and re-matching, make sure you have a 3" screw in at least the top hinge. There should be a vacant hole just for this. It will help hold the door against the frame and the frame close to the house framing so it won't sag.

Old 08-19-12, 03:25 PM
The 3 inch screw did help suck the door frame closer to the house framing but it did not solve the problem entirely.
After an hour of youtube searching I found a guy that solved it for me! The issue was that since it was not the original hinge for that spot, I had to adjust the hinge knuckles on the top hinge. I popped the pin out, then used a crescent wrench to adjust the knuckles about 1/16, got the pin back in and it pulled the top of the door closer to the frame. problem solved. It is not perfect alignment with the other door (gap is a little larger along the top for the left door) but the door works great and the deadbolt and handle work perfect. I don't think it should be that noticable to the lay person, so I am happy.

Thanks for the posts and suggestions!

Old 08-19-12, 06:11 PM
Glad you got it worked out, and thank you for the feedback!