Installing new doorknobs in old doors

Old 01-25-01, 09:03 AM
Visiting Guest
I want to replace all my old doorknobs in my house. The problem is my doors are old and have 1 3/4" holes for the knobs and the new knobs require 2 1/8" holes. Is there any easy way to enlarge the holes in the doors from 1 3/4" to 2 1/8"?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-01, 04:08 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hello, There is an easy way to make the hole bigger. Use a 21/8 hole saw cut a hole in a piece of scrap wood about 1x4x6. Take the piece of wood, center the big hole over the smaller hole, clamp in place and use the hole saw to cut the door. The hole in the scrap wood will keep the hole saw from walking.You may want to cut half way through then put the templet on the other side of the door to prevent splintering. Make sure the backsets are the same. Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 01-25-01, 06:43 PM
Visiting Guest
You can also insert a piece of wood such as a full 3/4 by 3/4 or a dowel through the latch bolt assembly hole and then cut through the door with a 2 1/8 hole saw. Make a starter hole with an awl in a dowel and the drill will stay centered. Cut half way through and then reverse. Pull the strip of wood out before you cut all the way through and you'll have a template for the next one.