Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Do they make: Exterior Fiberglass door with solid wood core?

KY

09-26-12, 08:41 AM   #1  
Do they make: Exterior Fiberglass door with solid wood core?

Do they make exterior fiberglass doors with 100% solid wood core? In other words, a solid wood door with a fiberglass shell? We are needing a door that is strong enough to handle a commercial application, but need to durability of fiberglass.

I know they make doors that have areas of reinforcement for things like the door locks and hinges, but we want to put a door closer on the top and are afraid there won't be anything strong enough to attach to.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

09-26-12, 09:42 AM   #2  
I've never heard of one...but my vendors were all for residential pretty much. Even the steel solid core doors were not wood, but a cement like product...those were for the higher fire rating.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

KY

09-26-12, 10:06 AM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. Has anyone heard of door closers causing problems in commercial applications? Seems like there needs to be some sort of reinforcement at the top.

Group Moderator

WI

09-26-12, 10:24 AM   #4  
Sorry, all of the heavy duty doors we have are either metal or solid wood; I know you're aware you're looking for something out of the ordinary.

Super Moderator

AZ

09-26-12, 12:04 PM   #5  
Heavy duty door closers are normally through bolted aren't they? Depending on your mounting...you'd probably hit solid wood at the edge using screws....but maybe not a bit further in.

Carriage bolts and acorn nuts can make it look clean if that's needed. Aluminum plates on both sides would provide extra reinforcement if needed.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread