Sill Flashing for Replacement Windows???

Old 09-27-12, 11:14 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sill Flashing for Replacement Windows???

Hi. I am embarking on a window replacement project for my 100+ year old stucco house and need some advice. We have ordered and recieved an Anderson Replacement window. After reading the instructions, I am perplexed about the best way to install some flashing since we are not removing the existing wood trim at the exterior. The window is set back from the stucco and has an existing wood sill and jambs which are flush with the stucco.These are in good condition. Can I install peel and stick flashing on the existing sill and turn it up the jambs? Do I need to do anything else besides that? If that is the case, what can I do on the exterior so you don't see the flashing membrane sticking out from the bottom of the window? Any guidance is appreciated.

Old 09-27-12, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,700 Upvotes on 1,524 Posts
"replacement windows" or retrofit windows get placed into an existing opening, they push out against an existing blind stop (or one gets added on) and then they get caulked in. You only use flashing tape if you have a nailing fin on your window installation.

Old wood sills and exterior trim can be cladded with aluminum trim coil and a metal break, but that's not usually something a DIY'er will attempt. IMO it is best to do the cladding after the old window sashes have been removed, but before the new window has been installed. But many contractors will clad windows later, after they have all been installed.

Without any more information than you provided about your window I don't think I can give an exact answer to your question, so maybe the above will help?

Old 09-28-12, 10:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I am embarking on a window replacement project for my 100+ year old stucco house and need some advice. We have ordered and received an Anderson Replacement window. After reading the instructions, I am perplexed about the best way to install some flashing since we are not removing the existing wood trim at the exterior. The window is set back from the stucco and has an existing wood sill and jambs which are flush with the stucco.These are in good condition.
Presumably, those sills and jambs are as the same age as the house. I would scrape, caulk (with paintable caulk) and re-paint them, as needed. If the existing windows have movable sash, you can probably do this before removing those - but it is a lot easier and faster with the old windows out. I would not worry about adding flashing to an assembly that has survived in good condition without it for more than 100 years, and I would not clad the wood. I would let it continue to breathe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: