Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Quieting a door that is now a wall

CAL

09-30-12, 02:54 PM   #1  
Quieting a door that is now a wall

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this...

I just moved into an apartment in SF, and theres a door to the kitchen in my room. I don't want to use it, but alot of noise comes through. Any suggestions on what to put around the door and frame to make it more quiet?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

09-30-12, 03:23 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

When you say 'apartment,' my thought is you are a tenant and therefore what you do has to be easily undone when your lease is up, right?

CAL

09-30-12, 03:36 PM   #3  
Ya that would be ideal, small nails would be ok. I have about 3 inches between the door and the edge of the door frame, I was hoping to be able to put something there to muffle the noise a little bit. Just not sure what to use

Group Moderator

TX

09-30-12, 04:44 PM   #4  
I'd suggest foam board cut to tightly wedge into the opening. You might have to buy two or three pieces 1" thick. A couple of 4d or 6d finish nails could be driven partway in on each side parallel to the face of the foam board if necessary. Then hang a heavy curtain over the door to hide every thing. Depending on door width and height two 4x8 one inch thick sheets of foam board should be enough. The scrap from cutting the two whole pieces to fit could be sandwiched between the two whole pieces to give you three layers.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Group Moderator

WI

09-30-12, 05:21 PM   #5  
I was thinking similarly to Ray, I would have taped the joint between the foam and the door frame.

CAL

10-04-12, 07:37 PM   #6  
Sounds perfect, thanks!

What can I use to cut the foam board down to size?

VA

10-04-12, 08:11 PM   #7  
What can I use to cut the foam board down to size?
A sharp kitchen knife. An electric carving knife works even better.

Group Moderator

TX

10-04-12, 08:11 PM   #8  
A well sharpened butcher knife should work fine or you can use a utility knife. You may be able to score and snap if you buy one inch thick sheets. I'd suggest gluing the three layers together using foam board adhesive.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Search this Thread