Pella sliding door

Old 10-01-12, 08:46 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pella sliding door

Just thought I'd share my experience with the forum. Maybe it can help others. We added a new sliding door (where none previously existed) and since it was a western exposure that would take on the wind and rain pretty hard we opted for a Pella ProLine rather than a $300 vinyl cheapie (from Lowes) Any way 3 years after installing we noticed it was leaking during heavy storms. I thought it was our (diy) installation. Turns out it was leaking between the stop moulding and the door frame. I found a video on youtube of the exact same leak. They said their aluminum clad had separated and thats why the leak. Looking for more info I found lots of posts of people unhappy with Pella's response. [my door came with a 10 year limited waranty, which means labor is only covered for 2 years]. So I call Pella to report my claim. Easy process but they wanted to charge for the visit to come check out my door. I fussed about that and they waived the charge. They were very nice about scheduling to help me out as door is at the lake house and meeting the rep was a little difficult during the week. His verdict was the glazing had failed. I complained that glazing shouldn't fail in 3 years and if I thought I'd have to replace that fast, I'd have bought the Crestline door and could replace it 3 times for what I paid for the Pella. I have 2 other identical Pellas at home for 15 years and never had trouble with them. I asked why the glazing would fail. He said it could be that someone went to lunch in the middle of the glazing and let it sit too long, that someone had greasy hands and that messed it up. He said Pella could fix it for $375. Then he offered me a free bottle of glazing so we could take the window out and reglaze it ourselves. And assured me that if we installed the whole thing we could handle this. He was actually very nice about it, I'm not conveying that very well yet. I said I think Pella should stand behind their product better than that. He said I have a good case to take it up the chain and have it repaired at least at a discount. Not sure how to proceed, I started asking others for advice. In the mean time Pella called to follow up on the visit and was I satsified. Well, now that you ask... He already knew I wasn't happy and after a very brief conversation he put me on hold to speak to "someone". He came back on the line and said they wanted to "goodwill" this one for us and will come and replace the window free of charge. We are scheduled for next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
So far, Pella gets a thumbs up from me.

Old 10-01-12, 09:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Nice. People screw up, it happens. It's good when they stand behind the products and resolve the issues like this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: