Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing Vinyl Windows

WV

10-07-12, 09:22 AM   #1  
Framing Vinyl Windows

I got a vinyl window that I to build a wood frame around it. I know I need wood and window caulking. I'll be hanging vinyl siding around the window. The window is going in a bathroom so cement board is gonna be used around on the inside of the wall. Is there anything else I should know or be aware of when doing this?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-07-12, 09:51 AM   #2  
You'll need to extend your WRB (Tyvek) around the exterior of the frame and into the opening, install your window with a sealant under the flange, and wide window seal sticky tape around the perimeter of the window flange. First install a metal drip across the top to cover from the flange to the exterior of the molding, then start your sticky tape from the bottom working the two sides, then the top, overlapping the tape so water will drain off in a natural fashion.

As far as the inside, what is your contingency plan for water, assuming this is going in a shower area. Are you going to tile the sill and sides, and how waterproof is the window frame?

WV

10-07-12, 10:13 AM   #3  
Undecided on the inside but probably tile it. Yes going in the shower area above the bathtub.

Which window seal tape do I use? Lowes has several of them.

GA

10-07-12, 10:38 AM   #4  
It's black, has paper and/or foil backing, is about 3 or 4" wide and stick in the summer Getting cooler, keep it in the house prior to using it. If you tile the window sill/sides, keep in mind the slight tilting of the sill tile so the water will drain back down, and use Redgard in the window opening around the corner to the wall, to help keep it moisture proof. If you are building in soad/shampoo cubbys (didn't think of that, did you?) use the Redgard in there also.

WV

10-07-12, 11:08 AM   #5  
No shampoo or soap cubbys. Lowes doesnt have red gard unless there calling it something else but ace hardware has it. Still looking that tape at lowes.com.

GA

Search this Thread