Door latch hole too big

Old 01-26-01, 02:56 PM
pvl
Visiting Guest
Question

I am repainting all of my interior doors. They are the hollow-core types. Because the door latch hole (the place that holds the door shut) is routed out too big, my doors do not shut tightly. If my windows are open, and the door is shut, you can hear it bump back and forth in the extra large hole just from the breeze.

My question is, what would be the best way to partially fill the hole so that when the door is shut and the lip is in the hole, that it cannot move?

As it is now, the doors sorta have a cheap sound to them when they do not shut nice and snug.

Thanks.

Old 01-26-01, 07:03 PM
Visiting Guest
If I understand the problem correctly then the simple solution is to 1. move the strike latch plate so the door stays snug. 2. bend the tang inside the latch plate so it holds the door snug. 3 Install a strike latch plate. 1.99 at a home center. It will cover the existing hole and keep the door snug.

Old 01-26-01, 11:31 PM
pvl
Visiting Guest
Door latch hole too (Solution!)

Wow, thanks Stephen. I cannot believe it was that easy. I just tried #2, I bent the lip and by golly the one door I did this too for the first time in 5 years is snug! Perfect!

What a great site and thank you so much! I feel a little embarrassed for asking the question but the important thing is your answer was the solution!

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: