Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sidelights leaking into home, slight rusting?

PA

10-17-12, 04:23 PM   #1  
Sidelights leaking into home, slight rusting?

Hi ya'll,
I've had quite a good experience on this forum, so I thought I'd try another one of the many issues I've had with the new home my wife and I built. We noticed a bit of discoloring on the inside molding around the sidelights, and on the flooring as well. My initial thought was poor caulking, however when we went outside and inspected the base of the sidelights I noticed some rusting there. There is an overhang, although with a driving rain from the south, water can get to the door. My questions:

1) Is the leaking connected to the rust issue?
2) If they are, how do I correct the issue as the area that's rusting is directly under the sidelights?

I've included pictures that I hope are helpful.

Thanks so much for any assistance you could provide.

Greg

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-18-12, 05:14 AM   #2  
That looks like water stains I'd go over the exterior with a fine tooth comb and caulk anything that has been missed or just not caulked good enough. I'd also run a bead of caulk between the bottom of the side light and the black base. The rust along with the water stains on the woodwork will need to be coated with an oil base primer before you touch up the paint. It's ok to use the same primer for both sides and latex paint will adhere fine over the oil primer.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

10-18-12, 05:50 AM   #3  
The thing that catches my eye right away in picture 2 is the door bottom cap and the rust on the outside. I would say that water is getting into that cap and the rust is coming from the bottom edge of the sidelight. I agree with Marksr that you should cut away all the old caulk from the aluminum door sill and apply new caulking. If that door bottom has a lip that is catching water, you ought to run a fine bead of sealant across the top of it. For that, I'd try and find a black sealant... last time I needed a black sealant I purchased PL Polyurethane Roof and Flashing sealant... it's not the same as roof tar.

You will want to caulk the area where any vertical trim pieces meet the aluminum sill (left side of picture 3). You could also caulk the front edge of the sill to the stone. But not with the balck caulk, obviously!!! LOL There is aluminum colored caulk that you could try for areas around the aluminum sill. If you will paint any of this caulking, make sure the sealant you buy says it's paintable.

In rare cases, water can also enter the rough opening from above and will show up on the floor, but I doubt that's the case here.

PA

10-18-12, 06:29 PM   #4  
Thanks everyone! I had actually posted this same thread at another site, and the recommendation was to rip out the sidelights...

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-19-12, 04:13 AM   #5  
Maybe the folks on the other site think you have a money tree in full bloom

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread