Mold on interior of window casing

Old 10-23-12, 01:06 PM
Mold on interior of window casing

Hi - I have some double-paned windows in my great room that do not open. I am having some mold growth in the corners of one of them in the wooden window casing (inside the house). The wood is cracking also. There is no water present.

Does this indicate some kind of dry rot, brought on by sun exposure? Is my window failing? Is this the result of interior condensation?

And what to do about it? The interior humidity is low, so I am reluctant to bring in a dehumidifier. I can scrub the mold off the window casing, but with the cracking, I am not sure how effective this will be. Do I need to replace the window?

The house was built in 2003, so the windows are approximately 9-10 years old. The brand of windows is Windsor; which I understand are a relatively low-cost window.

Name:  P1070075.jpg
Views: 9941
Size:  21.5 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-12, 02:55 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I can see that moisture is in between the panes. You don't need a dehumidifier. I would install a new window. Don't change all of them now. Do them as needed.

Old 10-23-12, 03:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also how recent is the paint job? or is it original to the building of the house? I suspect most of your windows could use sanding and a new coat of paint.... the one in the pics is definitely past due.

Old 10-23-12, 03:34 PM
If you can, contact the maker of the windows. It just might be that you are still covered by the guarantee against internal fogging.

Old 10-23-12, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
Can't tell what the outside looks like, but a lot of windows need a fresh exterior bead of clear silicone around the perimeter of the glass on the outside after a few years. If water from the outside is able to get down under the glass, it will cause the gapping and deteriorating paint blistering.

Old 10-24-12, 08:01 AM
This is interior paint - should I sand it and repaint it? The outside of the window is aluminum; I caulked the gaps with silicone caulk last summer. The house has a stucco substrate around the aluminum frame of the exterior windows.

Old 10-24-12, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
I caulked the gaps with silicone caulk last summer.
Just to be clear, I was referring to the point at which the glass meets the aluminum on the outside of the window... not just caulking gaps on the outside frame of the window. If there is any kind of lip where the glass meets the frame (especially at the bottom of the glass) it can catch rain water which gets trapped underneath the glass, wetting the interior trim, and causing the paint to blister.

You can sand, prime, and repaint the trim but the problem seems to indicate that you will be doing this again in a few years unless you stop the water infiltration. In working with windows for the past 20+ years I have seen this a few times.

Old 10-24-12, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator

This is interior paint - should I sand it and repaint it?
Yes, if you expose a lot of raw wood you should prime first but otherwise a coat or two of enamel will work fine. Do you know what type of enamel you currently have on the woodwork? It's best to stick with latex if it's latex or oil base if it's oil.http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

Obviously you need to make sure any leaks have been fixed first. I don't know if it applies to your windows or not but sometimes the peeling is caused by condensation.