Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Remove J Channel when replacing Prehung Entry Door?

WI

10-24-12, 08:48 AM   #1  
Remove J Channel when replacing Prehung Entry Door?

I am planning on replacing an entry door that goes into my garage from the outside. The inside of the garage is not finished so I imagine this is pretty much the easiest scenario for an entry door replacement (I have never done one before).

The existing door is a prehung type, and the new one is basically identical. There is molding already attached on the outside of the door frame.

My house has vinyl siding, and around the existing door there is a J Channel that is aligned closely to the molding.

Before I start this project, I am wondering, should I take the J Channel off? Or should I try to fit the door with the J Channel where it is? The molding is theoretically the same width but I imagine there will be slight variances, but I know that vinyl also has a little give. What has been your experience?

If I need to remove the J Channel, is there any way to do it other than to unzip all the vinyl panels that come up to it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

10-24-12, 10:27 AM   #2  
If the existing door is plumb, then your j-channel should be plumb. If your existing door (with trim) is the same height and width as the new door, then it should be easy. Double check that before you start. (size such as 40 x 83 1/4 when measuring from j-channel to j-channel.

The only hitch might be if someone screwed the j-channel to the brickmould with small screws. That's done occasionally so just run a putty knife around the perimeter to make sure no one did that. I don't see why you'd need to take the j-channel off, unless maybe someone caulked the heck out of it and it needs to be replaced if if looks bad.

Search this Thread