Proper Window Instalation on older home ....

Old 10-27-12, 05:56 AM
Proper Window Instalation on older home question ..

Hi Everyone .... I'm installing a few new vinyl windows in an older home, these windows were already replaced in the mid 80's with sliders, I think they took a short cut back then and now I'd like to fix it if necessary. What they did was pulled the old windows out and used a 3/4" filler on top of the already 1" rough boards to bring everything flush with the shingles then installed window and re-installed the Aluminum siding .... now that I've gutted the place and see that there were no headers installed for the larger window and see how they filled it I want to do it right ... I think the windows (any window) should be installed to the exterior sheeting whether it be plywood or 1" rough lumber for less chance to leak. Should I now install the brickmould to the 1" board or leave it and maybe flash it at the top. I guess it's good in a way as I plan on removing the old Aluminum siding and re-installing vinyl siding next year it would be good to have the brickmould out because I want to install leveler foam board and this way the j trim could be installed on top of the foam. What's your take on this ?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-12, 10:11 AM
Temporarily Suspended
First of all, I prefer aluminum siding to vinyl siding. Vinyl siding is too flammable, for me. I know about 2 cases, one where a BBQ tank blew & another caused by a spark from a drive type mower. I worker with a carpenter who would peel back the siding, install whatever headers that were needed & reinstall the J channel.