Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Problem with Sliding Door

CAL

10-30-12, 09:07 PM   #1  
Problem with Sliding Door

I have a sliding door that separates the living room from the hallway leading to
bed and bathroom. i have done some painting lately. I discovered unfortunatley
that the siiding door is rubbing where it goes into the wall. Now my new paint job is all scratched and look terrible. How do I fix the door so it will not rub inside it's 'wall housing'? It does not have a bottom track..it slide from one on the top.
Thank you.

Last edited by seawave121; 10-30-12 at 09:08 PM. Reason: mis spell

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-31-12, 03:10 AM   #2  
I assume you are talking of a pocket door. On the leading edge of the door at the bottom, there should be a nylon/plastic guide (or guides), sometimes adjustable to keep the door true in the opening. Sometimes they get broken. Is yours missing, broken or misadjusted?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-31-12, 04:37 AM   #3  
Is it a large area that is rubbing? or some smaller pinpoint areas?
I've had issues where nails/screws were protruding into the pocket and would scratch or gouge the door/paint.

If neither of these seem to be the problem maybe a pic or two might help us to help you better - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

10-31-12, 04:42 AM   #4  
If its an older home, I suspect that we have a latex paint over oil situation here.

If you take the back of your thumb nail, can you scratch the paint on the door fairly easily? Do other areas near the door that you painted also show a tendancy to be able to scratch the paint with relative ease?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-31-12, 04:52 AM   #5  
Good point czizzi!! I should have thought of that

If you can get under the paint you applied or test the paint in another room that hasn't been repainted, here's instructions for an easy way to tell - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

11-05-12, 02:30 PM   #6  
Thank all of you for responding! I have just now had a chance to get back to this thread. I actually thought(optimistically that my ex had fixed the rubbing..but no) I was just now going to retouch one spot and noticed that it '
had rubbed yet again..different spots. I will have to wait for paint to dry..then I will take a couple of pictures to send as suggested by marksr.
I do not think it was previously painted with oil based paint as I had that
experience with the trim leading from living room to kitchen.. it Was oil based and yes the latex just peeled right back off. I seem to need to learn the hard way.
I just googled 'Pocket Door'. Yes that is exactly what it is.
I just checked the bottom of the door.. there is some divot cut out and you can
tell there should be something going along the bottom as there is a groove and
what I thing are tiny nail heads.. but no nylon or plastic guide
From the spots that are being rubbed in a line but at different heights I am going to say it not nails inside but the guide.
Think this spells BIG trouble for me yes?

Group Moderator

NE

11-05-12, 02:49 PM   #7  
Big trouble? No. Just get these and put them on.

They go on the jambs near the floor, and only rub on the bottom corners of the door. The bumper goes behind the door (for when the door is fully open) and you probably don't need it.

Image credit: Amazon dot com

CAL

11-05-12, 06:16 PM   #8  
What a great idea! It is too narrow at the bottom but that could hopefully work at the top. I have a Home Depot near me. What exaclty are those things called?
Learned one new term today..Pocket Door. Ready for another
If you could also tell me where I should look in case I cannot find at HD and have to go to Amazon.
Thank you very much.

Group Moderator

NE

11-05-12, 07:10 PM   #9  
The top of the door doesn't need anything to center it, since it rides on a track. The bottom of the pocket door is what is probably swinging back and forth as it slides, causing the scratches, and that's where the guides go, at the bottom of the door. They need about 5/16" - 3/8" of room on each side of the door in order to fit. There are various kinds of "pocket door guides". That is what they are called if you want to look for a different style. Amazon has several kinds. You can probably find more if you look elsewhere. HD will have a section of door hardware and you should be able to find "something" there. Seems like its in the aisle with the staplers and hinges and such.

CAL

11-07-12, 02:50 PM   #10  
Thank thank you !!!
Going to try to find now.. Wish me luck

Search this Thread