Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Vinyl replacement windows - recommendations needed

Old 11-15-12, 08:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

It's time to replace my old 1960's windows. Most windows are double hung with a few casements and a few picture frame.

OKNA and Alside seem to be popular choices with the contractors in my area.

Recommendations would be appreciated along with which vinyl window manufacturers avoid.

Thanks -

Old 11-15-12, 09:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
I have Marvin's in my house and my parents replaced all the windows in their house with Marvin as well and we're all happy.

Renewal by Andersen gets a lot of positive feedback as well - one of my coworkers went with them because they handle everything, you don't go one place to get the windows and another to get the installer.

Old 11-15-12, 09:54 AM
M
Marvin, Pella, or Anderson are excellent choices however I am on a budget. My question is specific for vinyl replacement windows.

Old 11-15-12, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I remember those being used by contractors back when I worked at HD. I think you would be good with either one. Alside has been around longer, so thats a plus. Also...they're located in my home state of OH...so I recommend them...lol.

Remember...most manufacturers make several different grades of windows......low end from brand to brand won't be much different. Stick with mid-grade or above.

Old 11-15-12, 03:23 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Mistermike, I hope you are not deciding on replacing the windows just because they are 50 years old. While you might slightly improve the energy efficiency and might be slightly more comfortable the bottom line is that it is highly unlikely that the change will have any economic upside for you. Replacing windows is usually such a slow payback that it will take around forty years before you actually see a return on the capital expenditure.

Of course there are other reasons to replace windows and while they are mostly aesthetic that may be enough for you.

Old 11-15-12, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
Renewal by Anderson *is* a vinyl replacement window, and almost every major company (including Marvin and Pella) have their own line of vinyl replacement, just so you know. You are right that they are on the high $$$ of the scale.

There are hundreds of vinyl replacement window brands, each offering several models. Many are regional, so what I might recommend around here might not be available out there. That being said, I have put in some Gorell replacement windows and they are just okay, but I know they are available out east. I believe they are now known as "Soft-lite Gorell". Their double hung 5100 series is a little cheaper than their 5300 series. You also would probably want their 5105 or 5305 with sloped sills, not pocket sills. Glass options for both are the same, so you can get a good glass package in the cheaper model if you wanted to go that route.

I know a lot of people have gotten their replacement windows at the big box store, (American Craftsman) so if that's where you plan to buy you might as well just go there and ask what's available. Here's a link to an old thread where someone was very happy with their American Craftmans windows from HD.

Old 11-15-12, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Actually...Renewal isn't plain vinyl. It's a composite that they use in their Woodwright (very high end) windows as well. I think it's some sort of fiberglass and wood fiber mix? Way more color options...but darn expensive IMO.

Old 11-15-12, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
True, Andersen Renewal is a composite (Fibrex). Similar to Marvin's composite line (Ultrex) and Pella's (Impervia). These same companies also have strictly vinyl lines for those who demand it, but you do pay for the brand name.

Old 11-24-12, 06:35 AM
M
I got a decent quote on the Okna 400 foam filled deluxe series windows.

Thanks for the input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: