Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing slider door from stucco house

CAL

11-22-12, 01:27 PM   #1  
Removing slider door from stucco house

Hi all,

I'm planning on replacing a slider on a 20 year old stucco house with a pella hinged patio door. I was going to have it installed but Pella provides detailed DIY install instructions and the warranty still applies. I need the entire house painted so I'll have the stucco repaired professionally.

However, the Pella instructions do not have any info on removing existing stucco. From what I gather, you want to cut through the stucco and lath but not the house wrap (although I'm not sure about the feasibility of not damaging the existing house wrap). So after snapping some straight lines around the door (Pella recommends 9") I would use a circ saw with diamond blade set to 1/2" or so and slowly increase this after every pass until it's clear I'm barely through the stucco. Then very carefully chip away the stucco with chisels striking only towards the door.

I also have a stucco/foam bumpout around the door but of course that would just come off with the rest of the stucco. Is this about right?

Also, I saw some videos on how they make a seal from the new flashing paper to the old and normally it's done with sealant at the stucco edge. However, the video says this is not really enough for 2 story houses with small overhangs. Just so I know, what would be the technique to seal the new flashing paper to the old for a wall that may see some wind driven rain?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

11-22-12, 02:32 PM   #2  
At one point you mention stucco and foam, which actually sounds like EIFS (Dryvit is a brand of it) which makes some difference in how you approach this. Because EIFS is not a true stucco. Stucco is more like mortar, is thick, done in several layers, has wire lathe, etc.

I don't work on a lot of stucco homes, but the JLC (Journal of Light Construction) had a nice article about this topic. In it, they recommended that you break the stucco around the door with a hammer, doing this in an irregular shape (rough edge... not a straight cut) around the door, because it will blend in better and give the new stucco a better edge to bond to. A straight cut will tend to crack like an expansion joint where you patch it in. Also, if you cut through the stucco you will cut the housewrap/felt/paper. Real stucco is of varying thicknesses so if you set your saw to one depth, you will surely cut it somewhere. If you do cut it, be sure you are only scoring it partway, then beat it with a hammer to break it the rest of the way. IMO the only time you want to cut stucco in a straight line is when you will be butting new trim up to the cut (which will then be caulked).

If you have EIFS, then you have foam under EVERYTHING... and the foam around your door trim is just an EXTRA layer of foam. If you have EIFS, I would say that you want to cut the EIFS back twice. Cut just enough back to get the door installed, then once you have it set and secured, you can cut back a 2nd time for your trim (or for new strips of foam if you will have EIFS trim). Doing it this way ensures your final cut will be symmetrical with the door and right where you want it.

Can't give you good advice about the housewrap since we don't know what's currently on there. Could be felt paper, brown paper, tyvek, or maybe nothing at all. If you beat a hole in the wall and tear off an area around the door edge, maybe you can find out more about the makeup of the exterior surface.

CAL

11-22-12, 03:27 PM   #3  
You are right, there is foam under the stucco!
I took off an electrical box and poked around - there is about1" thick light blue foam under the lath and stucco. The house wrap is a dark grey paper over what is most likely OSB.

i also dug in a little where the fin would be, under the bumpout, right next to the slider frame and all i could find is what looked like smooth cement. I chipped at it a little but it's really hard.

Thanks for the reply, JLC is great. I will look up the article but please let me know your thoughts also.

Group Moderator

NE

11-22-12, 03:51 PM   #4  
Since your wall is EIFS, you should be able to do what I mentioned... score the foam and the stucco coating with your skilsaw (an abrasive blade works best to cut the EIFS) and be sure you aren't cutting all the way through. You don't want to cut 9" away from the door... I would think that if you have 6" foam trim bumped out around your windows, then that is how far you should cut from your new door edges.

If your new door is 72x81 and you want 6" trim on each side, that's pretty easy to figure. You'd cut an opening in the EIFS that is 84x87. But like I said, you sometimes will get a more accurate cut if you cut twice. Cut out just enough to get the door in, then AFTER it's been installed, measure 6" away from the door perimeter, make a line, and then cut, removing the remainder so that you can tape, and then it's ready to have a nice straight piece of foam laid back in.

If you have grey paper, that's probably Typar. If you don't disturb it, all you will have to do is use some window and door flashing tape to tape the new door nailing fin to the Typar. Then your EIFS guys can come back and patch the EIFS.

The JLC article I was thinking of really doesn't apply since you have EIFS, but it was in the July 2007 issue, "Replacing doors in stucco". If you want to see what they've written lately about EIFS, I'd suggest you google: +JLC +EIFS

Search this Thread