Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Interior wood doors with tempered glass panels

Old 11-25-12, 02:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Our house is just four years old but a recent windy day caused our library door to slam shut and one of the middle panels of tempered glass, in a 15 panel door, shattered. I cannot tell which side of wood I need to pry out in order to replace the single panel. It actually appears that the mullions and muntins are solid wood which would require that the entire door to be disassembled to replace one piece of glass. Is this feasible and does anyone have any recommendations?

Old 11-25-12, 06:34 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was called to repair a door with a similar problem. I happened to have been dealing with a great glass guy. He had a local shop. I brought the door to him, he replaced the broken glass & I hung the door.

Old 11-26-12, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 862 Upvotes on 754 Posts
I don't think I've ever replaced any glass in a french door but have painted lots of them. One side of the door is solid wood, the other side has 4 pieces of wood per pane. You'll have to look closely for the nail/staple holes. The better job the painter did, the harder they will be to find

You'll need to cut the paint/varnish around the wood trim piece. I suspect it will be difficult to remove the wood without breaking it but finding similar wood to replace it might be just as difficult

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: