Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mounting interior door hinges left hand inswing

PA

12-07-12, 05:57 PM   #1  
Mounting interior door hinges left hand inswing

I am having a few issues mounting a left hand inswing door with hinges that are counter sunk. I need to turn the hinge upside down when mounting it on the right side of the door frame vs. the normal left hand side. The problem is that when you turn it upside down the hinge has a bushing at the bottom which matches the top of the pin - when it is upside down you then have to put the pin in from the bottom up which is not correct because it could potentially fall out. What am I missing here? The reason I cant turn the hinge upside down and flip it over is because the hinge is counter sunk and the screws would stick out if they were on the counter sunk side. Am I making sense here?

Types of door swings
How do you determine if a door is Right Handed (RH) or Left Handed (LH)? - Home Improvement

Attached Images

Last edited by Nashkat1; 12-08-12 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Remove formatting

Sponsored Links

CAL

12-07-12, 06:00 PM   #2  
That "bushing" can be removed and installed on the other end if need be.

PA

12-07-12, 06:49 PM   #3  
Yes sorry for the wrong terminology here "bushing" but I tried hammering it out with a punch but it didnt seem to budge. Am I not hitting it hard enough?

CAL

12-07-12, 07:04 PM   #4  
As far as I know they are press fit some are just tighter than others. I have had some that need a good coaxing.

PA

12-07-12, 07:29 PM   #5  
problem solved. Door up with new oil rubbed bronze hinges and handles. Thanks guys.

Search this Thread