Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Old Window sills trim jambs rotten! Alternatives and ideas?

Old 12-08-12, 07:20 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts

Due to years of neglect, I have fixed about 5-6 windows sills, jamb trim (block molding) a few major doors on this cutomers house that had ( minor damage). However some still left may have very time consuming and extensive repairing ahead, in order to save these windows. Why save the window? Reason being (this is an older house 50 plus years) and they are unusual 12 over 9 panes DH and the owner would like to keep it Original. I already suggested we buy and replace with modern double pane double hung windows. Then add muntin/dividers to match rest of the house. He did not want to go that path.
Perhaps I can get a quote on totally custom windows? or have them built custom around the original sashes (top and lower frames). I am running out of suggestions to offer this stubborn customer.
PS I am getting paid by the hour so for every thing I fix I feel I am compensated. I just think they are wasting time and cost on these repairs.
What suggestions or ideas wolud be most welcomed.

Old 12-08-12, 07:46 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If money is no object to your client, I would lean toward milling new sills and jambs and using the original sash but what shape is the sash in? Does it have to be completely stripped and re-glazed? That will take some time and your customer would have to be willing to live with a boarded up window for as long as it takes. Of course you could have the entire window custom built too but I, personally, would enjoy milling the sills/jambs. Maybe you not so much.

Old 12-08-12, 09:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 857 Upvotes on 749 Posts
Could you post some pics so we can better understand the damage?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: