wood frame awning windows

Old 12-09-12, 02:21 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wood frame awning windows

aloha everyone,

I am going to make my own wood framed awning windows. The cut glass size is approx 18" x 20". I was planning on using this 1/8" clear glass that was used for picture framing. Someone had given me several cases of 18" x 24" glass.

Is this kind of glass the same kind used in windows? I have some aluminum awning windows that has 1/8" x 8" x 30" glass in it. It looks the same but does it have the same properties as the picture framing glass? I have also re-glazed older sash windows that has glass similar to the picture glass.

If it is the same kind of glass is the size I require too large for the thickness I have? Any recommendations on the correct type and size of glass I should consider. Any online references would be helpful also.

thanks in advance.

winds SSW 8-10 knots
surf NNW 10-12 ft
temp 78 F

Old 12-09-12, 03:04 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you have standard window pane glass and it should be fine. The only other property might be UV filtering glass that many new windows come with and is sometimes used in picture frames. It that's what you have, it's even better.

Old 12-10-12, 04:55 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
The glass you have is 3/32" single strength glass and if it's true picture frame glass it could be even thinner. For the size, the glass will be OK. Making your own awning windows seems like a very difficult project to say the least. If these are for heated space you should be using double pane glass. Single glass is OK for unheated space.

Old 12-10-12, 05:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
He may not need a lot of heat in Hawaii . Making the frames with that thin of glass may be a bear, but doable. How do you propose to build the frames? Interested and curious.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: