Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Exterior Door Threshold Question

OH

12-23-12, 09:26 AM   #1  
Exterior Door Threshold Question

Please look at the following picture of my exterior door's threshold:

Name:  Door Threshold Question.jpg
Views: 12918
Size:  24.0 KB

This door may be about 13 years old (that's how old the house is, but I've only been there about 18 months).

When I bought the house, I went "caulk-crazy", and was sealing things up all over the place. When it came to the doors, I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing. The part indicated by the smaller red arrows shows a part that I caulked.

My question is about the "hole" indicated by the black arrow. It's on both sides of the threshold, and another door in my house is similar (same age). What is this hole there for? I've had a handyman out to the house with regards to this door, and he mentioned he thought maybe something was supposed to go in there at some point, but he didn't seem to think it was very important.

Looking at the edge of the threshold closest to the interior of the house, there is a small lip that looks like it drains into this hole. Is this hole there to drain out water in a storm? If so - is it supposed to drain out where I sealed part of the door with caulk?

I ask because infrequently we will get a rainfall that hits the edge of this door primarily, and the threshold will "flood" a bit - and I see signs of moisture from the threshold on the inside of the house. It's never been much - but I'm wondering if I've caused this problem by caulking that outer portion of the door and blocking a drain. If this is the case, should I cut away this caulk from the middle jamb only (pictured) or the side jambs?

I've looked on the internet for drawings of this type of threshold to see if this is the case, but I can't find anything.

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

12-23-12, 05:24 PM   #2  
As far as I know, water shouldn't even get to the where the black arrow is. The metal part of the saddle should be pitched so the water runs away from the door.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-23-12, 06:25 PM   #3  
I agree with Pulpo, water should not be penetrating past your door seals. The threshold is pitched to take water away. NOW, how are the "feathers" on the bottom of the door? Is the wooden part of the threshold adjusted high enough to prevent things like water and wind from coming in? It may need replacement if it is worn.

Your caulking was good and I would not remove it in the places we can see.

Group Moderator

NE

12-23-12, 06:27 PM   #4  
Wind driven rain might get past the bottom corners of the weatherstrip, more so if your door bottom is worn out or the adjustable threshold isn't adjusted right. Can't see a gap there but I believe you. Maybe there used to be a felt pad there or something. The door is in pretty good shape for being that old. The felt pads obviously aren't there.

The place you caulked is fine. I doubt there is a weep system to let water out from under the adjustable threshold. Doors like that will always benefit from a storm door. They are not 100% weather tight by themselves alone... more so when there is wind driven rain. When it leaks at the corners, it's really not the door's fault, it's usually the owner who refuses to put on a storm door, then expects the door to not leak in a driving rain. I have had a couple of them. So if you don't have one, maybe that's an idea.

Search this Thread