Need to tint part of window - ideas please?

Old 12-30-12, 09:11 AM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Need to tint part of window - ideas please?

In my office, one of my windows is behind/beside my computer monitor. Especially now in the winter with snow of the ground, I have to close my blinds to see the monitor comfortably due to the brightness outside.

I need an inexpensive way to tint the one sash of the window (~20 x 30).

What I would prefer is to get some grey Plexiglass and mount it in a frame so I can easily remove it from the window when not needed. The problem is the Plexiglass would cost about $40+.

I could buy some plexiglass at Lowe's and apply a film tinting, but I had difficulty finding appropriate film tinting last year when I attempted this project.

? Does anyone know of a source for film tinting or have alternative ideas on how I can achieve the desired result?

Thank you!

Old 12-30-12, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
An issue I could see with placing plexiglass against your window is moisture or frost accumulation between it and the window.

I use light blocking mini blinds for the same problem.

Old 12-30-12, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What about a light blocking screen instead of a tint? Simple and cheap to buy a roll of sun shade and build a frame, then just staple it to the frame.

If this is a home office you might consider just having a new screen made for the window using the light block screen and just swap the entire thing when required.

Old 12-30-12, 10:22 AM
R
An issue I could see with placing plexiglass against your window is moisture or frost accumulation between it and the window.
Yes, I've already thought of that - I plan to vent the frame so that does not occur.

I use light blocking mini blinds for the same problem.
I forgot to mention that I need to be able to see outside. I'm not familiar with light-blocking mini blinds - can you see through them?

What about a light blocking screen instead of a tint?
Is that available at Lowe's/Home Depot?

Old 12-30-12, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Should be available. I've seen it from VA to CA. Pretty common. If not check at a few hardware stores...many of them make screens and might be able to sell it by the linear foot. A roll would leave you a lot of excess.

Just checked the Centerville HD and they show Solar Screen is available for $16/rl.

btw...I grew up outside Troy. Go Buckeyes! lol...

Haven't been back to OH in almost 20 yrs. No family left there and I hate snow...though it's 32 degrees here right now and I'm not liking that either.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 12-30-12 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-30-12, 11:24 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Home Depot also sells window tint to place on the inside of the windows. It isn't terribly expensive. I have done just about every window in my house. At least all of the ones that are directly exposed to sun.

Old 12-30-12, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I would just take the simplest, cheapest route, by buying a tension rod and some sheers or semi-sheer cafe's with a loose gather.
You can see out, block the glare, and pull them out when you want.

Old 12-30-12, 01:19 PM
R
...a tension rod and some sheers or semi-sheer cafe's with a loose gather.
That sounds like a good idea - I'll consider that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: