Window Instalation

Old 01-07-13, 06:11 AM
Window Instalation

I am Building an addition onto my house. I purchase brand new windows from an auction but they are the replacement style. I have been told that I can install them but unsure if I need to build a frame around the window to insert it into the wall. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-13, 07:45 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I would certainly build a frame.

Old 01-07-13, 09:48 AM
Frame plus a header if the window is 24" wide or more..

Header rests on Jack studs nailed to King studs (go all the way up and down the wall)

4 x 8 for most windows, if 6' wide or more, 4 x 10 would probably be better along with 2 jack studs to rest the header on.

Measure your window and make the openings a 1/2" wider to accommodate for expansion..

Flash around the opening, use lots of caulking also to make sure you seal any potential leaks.

Old 01-07-13, 01:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't forget a drip across the top of your trim before you install your siding.

Old 01-08-13, 03:38 AM
I understand about the drip and sealant. Would I build a frame out of 1 bys to attach to the window before setting the window in the cut out in the wall. Otherwise how do I secure the window to the rough in? I know I should have gotten NEw Construction windows but the wife really liked these. They are 24" x 50".

Old 01-08-13, 03:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's really no need for the 1x's, but it would help with the jamb extension. Do you plan on trimming with a sheetrock return or a wooden return? If so, a wooden 1x extension would make trimming easier. You can stain or paint the jamb if needed, or if it is left exposed. Just allow 1 1/2" extra on your framing side to side and top to bottom and install the 1x lumber frame. It is usually better to build the frame laying on saw horses, then installing it in the opening. That way you are assured of a square fit, using a framing square to ensure this before you shim it and pop it in with finishing nails.