1920s casement operator?

Old 01-11-13, 10:23 AM
1920s casement operator?

Hi All,

This isn't for a house, but I figured its worth a try int his forum too. I'm surveying an old historic hospital in Los Angeles built around 1924 (it was originally a hospital for the Santa Fe Railroad employees) that has steel casement windows. I think this is the original casement operator, over half have been replaced with newer operators or are missing all together. I haven't seen one like this before and have hunted a little online without success. Anyone recognize it? Thanks for the help!Name:  IMAG1099.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  27.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-13, 12:34 PM
How many do you need? It might be worth getting a price for having a local shop make replicas.

Further thoughts:

Is there any manufacturer's labeling on the hardware or the windows?

The closest thing I could find quickly was a CRL Bronze Crank Handle for Andersen Windows, which doesn't look all that close and might not fit anyway. I did also run across a company that specializes in restoring steel casement windows: Seekircher Steel Window Repair. They'd probably be happy to quote the work for you, if you're interested.

Old 01-11-13, 02:36 PM
Depending on how what the architect decides (and how much money they want to spend on this project as it probably won't be cheap to reproduce these), we could need a couple hundred to replace all the missing ones.

There is no visible manufactures stamp, I'll take a couple pieces off next week when I continue my surveying.

My company actually does window restoration, I'm working on a bid for this work, but I had never seen this style of operator before. So the hunt continues!

Old 01-11-13, 04:49 PM
My company actually does window restoration, I'm working on a bid for this work,
And I pointed you to a competitor? Oops!

Good luck working this out. The greenest buildings are the ones we keep and rehabilitate.

Old 01-12-13, 04:57 AM
What is important is the type of mounting, the length of the arm and the fitting the goes into the track. It's very possible that with some alterations you may get a standard operator to fit. Post some pictures of the operator that shows the above.

Old 01-12-13, 10:19 AM
I'm surveying an old historic hospital in Los Angeles built around 1924 (it was originally a hospital for the Santa Fe Railroad employees) that has steel casement windows. I think this is the original casement operator, over half have been replaced with newer operators or are missing all together.
My company actually does window restoration... but I had never seen this style of operator before. So the hunt continues!
April, I just want to check something that might help us focus our replies more effectively: I think, if I'm hearing you correctly, that you and your company want to find, or cost-effectively replicate, the original casement operator that you believe to be original.

I'm also imagining that there might be restrictions, and/or tax advantages, that figure into your decisions on this project, and that historically accurate or, at a minimum, period-appropriate details are central to meeting those restrictions or gaining those tax advantages. Is this more-or-less accurate?

Last edited by Nashkat1; 01-12-13 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Clarify