Metal Interior Door Frames

Old 01-19-13, 06:38 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal Interior Door Frames

Good evening,
I am a long time reader but first time poster. I am an amateur "do it yourself'er" learning as I go with each new project. This site has helped a lot. I apologize if this has been posted, but I could not find an answer. Similar threads seem to be around, but not specifically for my issue.

I own an apartment with metal interior door frames. Since I moved in, one of the hinges has been cracked (see photo) and I finally decided to fix it as the door couldn’t be closed.

I removed the door. The hinge appears to be tucked into a small slit in the door frame. From the other posts, it seems that the hinge is riveted or perhaps welded into place. If this is the case, how can I break the weld or rivet to get the hinge out?

Short of cutting the frame around where the hinge is secured into place, I am not sure what I can do here. If I do in fact but the frame, I won’t be able to put a new hinge on. It seems that I need to somehow get the hinge off with limited cutting, so I can put the new hinge on body putty it up to fix.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Attached are a few photos.

Attached Images   
Old 01-20-13, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Can you back away a little and give us some pix of the door frame. Close ups of the hinge don't help much. I can't tell what the top pix is about, and the bottom hinge pix is from the outside, not the attachment point. Some hinges are removable, and some are not.

Old 01-20-13, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 995 Votes on 906 Posts
I think the pic is looking at either side of the same hinge, and I don't see any screws, so it's not looking good.

Old 01-20-13, 05:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Could be. All I see is a sloppy weld. May help to see one of the other hinges in conjunction with this one so we can see the original design.

Old 01-20-13, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 995 Votes on 906 Posts
Looks to me like a grinding wheel abrasion... not a weld. I think he cut a hole in the back side to see into the back side of the hinge.

Not sure if a guy could grind the hinge entirely off... then use a reciprocating saw to cut the back side of the butt hinge off the back side of the jamb? It's probably spot welded onto the backside of the frame. Then if you can get a similar sized hinge... smear some epoxy on the hinge, buttering it like a piece of toast... then slide it into a widened slot and try and shim it tight against the back side of the frame? I think it's about all you could do in this instance?

PT7 is a pretty good 2 part epoxy that might be good for this sort of thing. Its a little thick though, so you wouldn't want to butter the hinge with too much of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: