Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Breeze and Water under door

IN

02-02-13, 12:10 PM   #1  
Breeze and Water under door

I sometimes have water pooling at the bottom of my door when it rains/snows. Not really sure where it is coming from. I do have a lot of air coming in from underneath my door - right above my floor. Any ideas on how to fill that gap?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

02-02-13, 12:30 PM   #2  
Door mfg's make wedge shaped foam pads that are meant to help seal the area directly above the adjustable threshold. They are tucked behind the weatherstrip which can sometimes help to eliminate that spot of light that you see in the bottom right corner of the door.

If you don't already have a storm door installed over the face of this door, that would be a good idea. Wind blown rain will eventually find its way in at those lower corners of the door otherwise.

If you are getting air under the door (between the door bottom and adjustable weatherstrip) then look for adjustable screws on the threshold, and make the adjustment. Sometimes those screws are hidden under a cap. If the air is coming from under the adjustable threshold then the door probably wasn't set on a bead of sealant, which isn't good. An interior bead of sealant would help stop air, but if water can get in there, your door is eventually going to rot underneath. Caulking the front edge of the threshold isn't always a good idea since that can also trap water. So it's hard to give you a good solution that doesn't include removing and reinstalling the door if the door wasn't set properly in the first place.

PA

02-02-13, 01:09 PM   #3  
Hard to tell but looks like there may not be a threshold? Just a bulb seal on the bottom of the door? A threshold is sloped to shed water away from the doorway. Without one water will find a way in.

The gap between the door frame (jamb) and floor has me wondering if the floor was replaced or new floor laid on top of old, raising the floor height to the point that the threshold wouldn't fit so it was just left as is?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-02-13, 02:11 PM   #4  
Just a curious thing. Is there a reason the threshold and door were installed after the final flooring?

Search this Thread