Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New Storm Door with a problem

OH

02-04-13, 06:12 PM   #1  
New Storm Door with a problem

Decided to replace my storm door on front entryway. Old one was worn out and delapidated.

Bought new one at box store and paid for professional instal. After install, noticed a 1/8 inch gap between the weatherstripping on the bottom of the door and the threshold (or sweep?). Called installer and while waiting on the return call, it poored rain that night then turned cold the next day. Water entered under the weatherstripping and then humidity built up between the storm door and the front door and then had freezing on the glass and handle. (Never had this problem before).

Spoke with installer and he explained that a storm door is not meant to weatherstrip or keep the elements away. However, salesman said that the storm door I was purchasing was designed to keep wind out. My problem is that in the summer it seems that bugs (and water) will easily come into the hoise and the screen use will be pointless as I won't be able to use it with the potential of bugs (and rainwater) coming up to the front door.

So who is right? Is a storm door meant to protect the front door from wind, water and bugs or is the storm door not meant to do this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-04-13, 06:17 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! Protect from wind and rain, yes, but a hermetic seal, probably not. The rubber seal may have been installed to the outside and it should be on the inside so it will rub against the threshold. Simple matter of removing the bottom piece and turning it around. If he drilled through the piece, then you will need to use the same holes. Let us know what you find out.

MI

02-05-13, 09:39 AM   #3  
Your installer is trying to duck your recall. Of course a storm door is supposed to block wind, rain & bugs. If it didn't serve that purpose it would just be an annoying obstacle to entering your home.
Chandler has a good point that he may have installed the sweep incorrectly. The sweep should be adjusted to contact the threshold only when the door is closed. How is the rest of the seal around the edges & top?

Group Moderator

TX

02-05-13, 10:16 AM   #4  
Two things to remember: The installer is a subcontractor usually and if he doesn't install X number of doors per day he is replaced. Quantity not quality is the real measure of his work. He does any repair of his work on his dime and still is expected to make his quota for the day.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

OH

02-05-13, 05:03 PM   #5  
Thanks for the responses. The rest of the door is perfect. The bottom is off. We went round and round about it. He kept stating that they see it all the time that the middle of the door touches and the sides do not. But the middle of the door does not touch it is a straight 1/8 inch off at the bottom.

I asked myself the same question: what is the point if it is not meant to block wind/water and bugs.

Thanks

Group Moderator

NE

02-05-13, 08:36 PM   #6  
It sounds to me like the adjustable sweep just needs to be adjusted. Don't know why they are giving you grief about it.

The problem I commonly run into is a bowed sill (the original door sill) that creates a problem when you adjust the sweep... when you adjust it so that it's as tight as the customer wants it, then the storm door won't close on it's own. Then a few days later they will call back and say the wind has blown their storm door open and blame you for it.

The other thing that happens sometimes is that on some doors they move the sweep weatherstrip way out front where there isn't as much sill nose for it to sweep on. And that's not something that can be adjusted... you would need a sill nose adapter or an additional piece of sill nose attached to the sill if that's the problem.

I don't think you should have water inside the door. The old door worked better than that, from the way it sounds!

MI

02-06-13, 09:56 AM   #7  
There's a possibility you won't get any satisfaction from your installer--particularly if the sweep is already mounted as low as possible because your door opening is taller than your door. The installer may have been faced with the choice of a gap at the bottom or else mounting the storm lower to seal against your old threshold. This may require him to fill the gap at the top (cut wood, paint, caulk...and still it may look hacked due to the storm top frame hanging lower than your existing jamb).
If this is the situation a good compromise might be for you to have him install a new taller threshold, that you purchase, and adjust the sweep to seal against it.

Search this Thread