Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Wider than usual exterior door wanted, thoughts?

Old 02-10-13, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I would like to put an exterior door on the side of my detached garage. I could easily put a normal door in, however I would like something that is a bit larger to help move things in and out. A double-door is probably too much & likely too fancy for what I needed.

I am thinking something like a normal door which opens to the left, and a shorter panel on the right that could open if & when needed. It would normally be fixed in place, but could be unlocked and swung open to widen the space for moving items in an out.

Any thoughts? I looked on-line for various products that might fit. I would prefer something that I could just drop in place. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-13, 01:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
What kind of door is there now? To install a wider door you need to reframe the opening with a longer possibly bigger header. Assuming you are going to have to reframe a different opening, I'd pick the door and then frame out the new opening for the specs required for the door[s]

Old 02-10-13, 05:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In addition it comes down to "why"? You have a large garage door to "move" stuff in and out, and only need a man door to walk through. You're looking for a lot of work for little return, IMO.

Old 02-12-13, 09:56 AM
I have to agree here. Besides, unless you are looking for a 40" door (expensive), there is nothing out there that I know of.

But if you need the opening for specific reasons, just drop a "standard" 32" double door which will give you at least a 5 ft opening.

However, when you install any double door, the locking mechanism is in the middle and not against a jamb secured by a stud - invariably, you have now created a potential security issue.

Old 09-11-13, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I suppose I might have to do with a regular door; maybe 36" if I can get one.

To answer previous questions; this is a new opening I want to make at the 2nd level above a garage space. Larger opening would be to be able to move larger items in.

But as previously stated, perhaps sticking with a a single door is best.