Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old House Window Replacement Ideas

PA

03-21-13, 11:39 AM   #1  
Old House Window Replacement Ideas

Part of my house was built in 1901. I want to keep this part of the house as original looking as possible. The windows are one of the main sources of cold air coming into this side of the house. My goal this year is to replace all 9 windows. Right now they are the old wood windows with single pane glass. What is a good replacement for these? See picture below of the old part.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

VA

03-21-13, 12:37 PM   #2  
Have you considered repairing and restoring the windows you have now?

Super Moderator

AZ

03-21-13, 01:05 PM   #3  
Much depends on your budget. If vinyl replacements would not work on the interior (I think they would look ok from the exterior, at least from a distance), then you might have to step up to something like Woodwright windows from Andersen...thats assuming the existing wood frames are in good shape and would be retained. Jeld-Wen also makes quality replacement inserts.

If they are standard sizes you have many more options, but windows that old are often odd sizes no longer produced.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

PA

03-21-13, 01:46 PM   #4  
I would like to keep the old 1901 look for this part of the house. So vinyl windows would not work. Ideally I would like to reuse my current windows but with insulated glass. Not sure if that is an option.

Super Moderator

AZ

03-21-13, 01:51 PM   #5  
I think that all depends on the construction and condition of the wood...and your wood working abilities.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

VA

03-21-13, 03:26 PM   #6  
I would like to reuse my current windows but with insulated glass.
That's probably an option, but it may not be a sound investment. The great likelihood that the heat loss at your windows from air movement is much greater than the heat loss from radiation through the glass. That's in addition to the loss of value from removing imperfect glass from the time the house was built.

Restoring the sash, glazing, stops and weights to good working condition, plus, possibly, a bit of air sealing around the trim and in the weight pockets, will cost you very little except labor. In most cases, this work will significantly improve comfort and reduce heating costs.

Adding interior or exterior storm windows will also do far more than installing insulated glass will. The combination of a restored window plus a new storm window can be amazing. And we haven't even gotten to what can be done with curtains!

PA

03-22-13, 05:50 AM   #7  
I guess the issue is more of air leakage. I put the heat shrinked plastic over the windows this winter to try and help prevent the air from blowing in. You can certainly tell it helped with air blowing in because as I was installing it, you could see the thin plastic moving from air blowing in. So I guess I need to focus more on sealing up that leakage.

Search this Thread