Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Install Sliding Glass Door with Limited Header Space

Old 03-26-13, 11:27 AM

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your advice.

I have a contractor friend who is going to assist me with installing this sliding glass door in the back of my house. However, we have encountered an issue that he hasn't seen before and I was wondering if someone on here has. The main issue is that my ceilings are only 7'6" ceilings so after measuring everything out we only have enough room for a 7" header to support the weight of the roof. He says that normally you would want a 12" header for such a task.

My question here is do you know if we should use metal or wood or what as the support header for this installation. For those wanting the actual measurements, we have a 7" header that will span 6' and it will support a 30' long roof truss.

What can I safely use as a 7" header keep in mind I live in the Indianapolis area, so the roof will at times be bearing snow loads.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-13, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Well first off they do make shorter patio doors. If you haven't already bought the doors, consider that. That alone would gain you a few inches.

It's hard to say what sort of loads you have above this based on the information you provided, but generally a couple 7 1/4" LVL's will be stronger than standard 2x8 hem-fir headers.

Old 03-26-13, 07:08 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Go with a steel I-beam, if there is any doubt.