windows dont stay open - latches or hooks?

Old 04-05-13, 05:39 AM
windows dont stay open - latches or hooks?

Hey guys, housing came in and inspected my first floor recently and cited me that some of the windows dont stay open.
Now for the past FIVE years there have been no issues with the old inspector and he never mentioned anything but this new woman of course has a gung ho mark everything tude and decided the windows weren't up to snuff. I luckily fought and got an extension and planned on replacing the windows but now my new insurance company has a little list for me as well (this is by no means a slum house and actually one of the best ones in the neighborhood but things are a bit different now.)
Anyway I have to prioritize my money and time now due to both sets of repairs and I was wondering if anyone knows if they make hooks or latches for older style windows to keep them open until I can afford to start changing them just to keep section 8 off my back for a bit.
They are the old counter weight windows and I was just going to reattach the weights BUT the old owner decided to attempt repairs at one point and made some of the weights unreachable.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-13, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
You could install tape balances in place of the springs. They make them just for that purpose. You tale the pulley out of the frame insert the tape balance and attach it to the lower sash.

I've also seen a stamped metal "catch" that is fastened in the channel and when the window is raised, it applies pressure to the sides to hold the window in place. Not sure if they will work on larger windows....maybe 2 per side?

Do they have to stay open on their own, or can they be latched open?

Old 04-05-13, 08:44 AM
They are the old counter weight windows and I was just going to reattach the weights BUT the old owner decided to attempt repairs at one point and made some of the weights unreachable.
What did the previous owner do that's blocking access to the weights?

Old 04-05-13, 12:39 PM
he made some aluminum slides that he screwed in a 100 times and it just seems like a but load of effort when I really want to replace the window eventually.

Just looked up those tape balances and they are like 50$ a pop. Theres a few windows and that would add up quick. Ill see if the big stores have them cheaper.

Old 04-05-13, 04:06 PM
he made some aluminum slides that he screwed in a 100 times and it just seems like a but load of effort when I really want to replace the window eventually.
It may take some work but it takes almost no money.

Why do you want to replace the windows?

Old 04-05-13, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
The simplest thing is to get some sash springs. They simply create enough friction that the window will stay open in any position. They sometimes require you to cut the sash down a little because sometimes they make the sash TOO tight.

The next thing you could do is add sash spring bolts to the side of the window sashes. They can be used to not only lock the window in the upper position, but can also be used in conjunction with holes in the jamb to create preset "stops" to hold the sash in a certain open position... 1/4 open, 1/2 open, 3/4 open, etc.

image credits: shopping dot com

Old 04-10-13, 05:08 AM
I wanted to replace them because they are the old single pane windows.
most of the windows in the other apartments have been updated but this apt has MASSIVE windows that would be really pricey and hard for me to do alone. I can some of the regular size ones but not the big guys.

those sash springs looks good. thanks

Old 04-10-13, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Sash spring was what I was trying to describe before. At least I'll know the name for next time....if I remember.