Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Trying to put on new door hinges, scew holes don't line up

Old 04-05-13, 11:24 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've been replacing my door hinges from the old rusted golden ones to a more modern silver look....I've gotten my interior ones no problem, but my two exterior doors are becoming quite a problem.

The two exterior doors are on two different hinges, the hinge half connected to the frame is rounded, the half that is attached to the door is squared...so I bought both types, knocked out the pin and combined the two....now I'm trying to put on the new hinge, eye balling it, it looked like it would fit, BUT the screw holes are off.

What are my options? Is there something I can fill those holes with and drill new holes? I'm a little more hesitant with these being exterior doors since the doors are heavier than interior.

Old 04-05-13, 11:37 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 88 Posts
Yep, glue a golf tee or wood dowel or whatever piece of wood fits into the existing hole and then you can drill new ones.

Old 04-05-13, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When this happens I will usually just use some really long sturdy deck screws after filling the holes. Then you can grab the 2x4 behind the jam and really get a good hold.

Old 04-05-13, 04:04 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
now I'm trying to put on the new hinge, eye balling it, it looked like it would fit, BUT the screw holes are off.
In the door, in the jamb, or in both?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: