Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

How to fill gaps between window and blocking?

Old 04-12-13, 07:54 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts

I just hung an aluminum window.

Wall is 8" concrete blocks. Had an old window there before which I tore out along with all the furrings and blocking.

I then attached new 1x2 furrings around the edges of the concrete block openings using Tapcon screws and in a couple of spots shimmed them square and level.

I fit the window onto the new opening and it's a really snug fit height wise. Looked like I needed to shave off 1/16" from the furring on the top, but then I realized there are some rubber "bumps" at the corners of the aluminum window so I push down the top edge and was able to get the window fitted in tight.

It looks good from the outside I just need to caulk and seal the edges and do some stucco work.

On the inside as I looked the top/bottom is pretty tight and no gap at all.

The left and right I do have some space. There is 1/4" gap on the left side and same on the right. I guess I can screw through the furrings into the concrete blocks to secure the window. Do I need to fill these two gaps with something?

I Googled and saw some just squeeze caulk into the gap. Is that advisable, does it really help? I also saw some push some foam rods into the gap with a putty knife, is that the solution? Or should I pull the window out, and attach a thin layer of 1/4" ply on both the left and right furring?

Also, in screwing down the window, there is no way to drill a hole straight down? The glass is in the way, so my drill has to be slanted, does it mean all the screws will have to be slanted or is there a trick I am not aware?

Old 04-12-13, 02:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Can you post a few pix, not close ups, of this so we can see what you see?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: